Posted by ESPN.com's Mike Sando
Cris Collinsworth made a living catching passes before he made one analyzing NFL games on TV, currently as part of the NFL Network team covering the Cardinals-Eagles game Thursday night in Philadelphia.
|Chris Morrison/US Presswire|
|Larry Fitzgerald has the skills to become one of the all-time great receivers.|
A few highlights from Collinsworth's recent conference call with reporters, focusing on comments relating to the Cardinals:
- On Larry Fitzgerald: "Larry Fitzgerald may have the best hands that I've seen in my life and I've played against Jerry Rice, Cris Carter and a lot of guys."
- On the Cardinals losing to the Giants: "The fact that this team was able to hang in with the Super Bowl champions says a lot about where this football team is right now."
- On blitzing Kurt Warner: "I've never done a game where [Eagles defensive coordinator] Jim Johnson and the blitz didn't play a major role in the game, so I believe the blitz will be coming."
- On the Eagles' offensive talent: "Other than [Brian] Westbrook, I don't see the great skill position players on this team."
- On the NFL's best team: "The Giants are clear-cut. They are the best team in football right now."
The comment about Fitzgerald's hands resonates. A prominent former NFL receiver doesn't make that type of comment lightly. I tend to agree. I can't think of another receiver who wins matchups at the ball so decisively and snatches the ball with so much authority. I swear he's going to squeeze the air right out of the football one of these times.
A thumb injury seemed to affect Fitzgerald a bit in recent weeks, but not significantly. He has 72 catches for 1,010 yards with five games remaining. He has a legitimate chance to earn a high spot among the list of all-time great receivers.