Combine'11: Day 4 news and notes
February, 28, 2011
By Kevin Seifert | ESPN.com
As the fifth day of the NFL scouting combine gets underway, let's tap into Scouts Inc. for some highlights of Day 4.
- By now you've probably heard that Auburn quarterback Cam Newton proved athletic in running drills and shaky in the passing portion of his workout. Here was Scouts Inc.'s bottom line on his time in Indianapolis: "We've heard wide-ranging opinions on Newton's intangibles while talking to NFL types this week in Indianapolis, but overall he does not appear to be helping his cause much."
- The fastest quarterback Sunday was Virginia Tech's Tyrod Taylor, who ran a 4.51 in the 40-yard dash. But it's also worth noting that Nevada's Colin Kaepernick (4.53), Washington's Jake Locker (4.53), Newton (4.59) and Missouri's Blaine Gabbert (4.62) weren't far behind.
- Arkansas' Ryan Mallett and Florida State's Christian Ponder were the most impressive in passing drills. Gabbert did not throw.
- The fastest receiver was Edmund Gates of Abilene Christian, who ran a 4.37. That's the same small school the Bears plucked receiver Johnny Knox from in 2009.
- Alabama receiver Julio Jones put on "one of the best shows we've seen at the position in recent years," according Scouts.
- The fastest running back was Maryland's Da'Rel Scott, who ran a 4.34.
- Oregon State defensive tackle Stephen Paea set a combine record with 49 repetitions of 225 pounds on the bench press.
1:00 PM ET Washington Atlanta 1:00 PM ET Chicago Cleveland 1:00 PM ET Houston Indianapolis 1:00 PM ET New England Miami 1:00 PM ET Philadelphia Minnesota 1:00 PM ET Seattle New York 1:00 PM ET San Francisco Tampa Bay 1:00 PM ET Buffalo Jacksonville 4:05 PM ET Kansas City Oakland 4:05 PM ET New York Carolina 4:25 PM ET Green Bay Dallas 4:25 PM ET Arizona Tennessee 4:25 PM ET New Orleans St. Louis 8:30 PM ET Cincinnati Pittsburgh