How one agent's trying to help sell a veteran client
Ever wonder how an agent tries to package and sell his client?
You hear sometimes about a big packet put together that attempts to spell out a guy's value. Veteran agent Ralph Cindrich has done a 13-page packet for center Jeff Saturday, and cleared the AFC South blog to share it (PDF).
It's not Earth-shattering, but it is interesting.
While keeping in mind we don't know details of the offer the Colts say they've made or a similarly detailed look at Saturday from the team's perspective, here are some points the stood out to me from the packet:
- After Saturday missed four games in 2008, many start to say "Oh, he's old and breaking down." Cindrich points out the center has missed just four weeks of practice in his 10-year career.
- Peyton Manning's passer rating with (98.1) Saturday playing in 2008 and without (86.3).
- A look at the four teams the Colts played without Saturday. Sure, Indy was 3-1 in those game, but they were against teams that went 27-36-1 (.430) in 2008.
- The Colts were a bad running team with and without Saturday, but they averaged a full yard more with him -- 3.7 to 2.7.
- By Cindrich's count, Saturday has allowed 0.7 sacks a season in his career.
- Our friends at Football Outsiders should be proud to have been included in the packet, where Cindrich uses their numbers on offensive line pass protection and running between the guards.
There are a lot of centers out there, and it's hard to predict the market for Saturday. I'm sure the Colts are hoping it's less than what Saturday expects, and that such a scenrio increases their chances to keep him. If Saturday leaves, the Colts offense operating without a key cog and a Manning favorite will be a big storyline as the team heads into 2009.
1:00 PM ET San Diego Buffalo 1:00 PM ET Dallas St. Louis 1:00 PM ET Washington Philadelphia 1:00 PM ET Houston New York 1:00 PM ET Minnesota New Orleans 1:00 PM ET Tennessee Cincinnati 1:00 PM ET Baltimore Cleveland 1:00 PM ET Green Bay Detroit 1:00 PM ET Indianapolis Jacksonville 1:00 PM ET Oakland New England 4:05 PM ET San Francisco Arizona 4:25 PM ET Denver Seattle 4:25 PM ET Kansas City Miami 8:30 PM ET Pittsburgh Carolina