ROMULUS, Mich. -- We're preparing for an early departure from Detroit, marking the end of our 2008 training camp tour (sniff, sniff). We'll be offering some thoughts on each NFC North team in the coming days, but for now let's take a turn around the division:
- Chicago Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher admitted he was "skeptical" about his first contact in last week's preseason opener against Kansas City. Urlacher, who had offseason surgery on his neck, told the Chicago Tribune that he just wanted to get it over with.
- Urlacher appears no worse for the wear, and the Chicago Sun-Times reported in its camp wrap-up that he and the Bears' defense have seemed formidable in camp.
- Not sure if this is good or bad news. Rookie quarterback Matt Flynn is closing the gap on Brian Brohm in the Green Bay Packers' competition for the No. 2 quarterback job, coach Mike McCarthy said.
- Packers linebacker A.J. Hawk (chest) missed practice Wednesday night, believed to be for the first time in his career, according to the Wisconsin State Journal. Hawk also has been ruled out for Saturday night's preseason game at San Francisco.
- Minnesota Vikings nose tackle Pat Williams was asked about the possibility of Packers running back Ryan Grant getting 100 yards in the teams' regular-season opener Sept. 8. "Trust me, it ain't going to happen," Williams said, according to the Star Tribune.
- Detroit Lions offensive lineman Edwin Mulitalo is putting his experience in zone blocking schemes to good use this summer.
1:00 PM ET Washington Atlanta 1:00 PM ET Chicago Cleveland 1:00 PM ET Houston Indianapolis 1:00 PM ET New England Miami 1:00 PM ET Philadelphia Minnesota 1:00 PM ET Seattle New York 1:00 PM ET San Francisco Tampa Bay 1:00 PM ET Buffalo Jacksonville 4:05 PM ET Kansas City Oakland 4:05 PM ET New York Carolina 4:25 PM ET Green Bay Dallas 4:25 PM ET Arizona Tennessee 4:25 PM ET New Orleans St. Louis 8:30 PM ET Cincinnati Pittsburgh