Because they claimed Kyle Orton on waivers last week and because Jon Kitna's injury has had them looking for a veteran backup quarterback, there was speculation Thursday that the Dallas Cowboys might claim Donovan McNabb following his release from the Vikings. But according to Calvin Watkins of ESPNDallas.com, Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said Friday that would not happen. Garrett also said the Cowboys would not claim recently waived Sage Rosenfels either, and were planning to roll with Stephen McGee as Tony Romo's backup the rest of the way:
"They've both been very good players in this league," Garrett said of McNabb and Rosenfels before Friday's practice at Valley Ranch. "Obviously we've competed against Donovan a lot when he was a quarterback for the Eagles and he's been a great player for a long, long time and the same thing with Sage, in a different role. He's been a veteran player who has played for 10-12 years now and really done a nice job with the role he has been in. But right now, we're going to just stand pat with where we are when we evaluate our quarterback situation."
The Cowboy are right to pass on McNabb, who has shown nothing over the past two seasons to indicate he's happy in a backup role or that he could even help if pressed into duty as a starter. I believe there's a chance he makes it all the way through waivers this afternoon, and I think it's possible that we might already have seen the end of his career.