Around the NFC South: Shockey to play this week
August, 19, 2008
Posted by ESPN.com's Pat Yasinskas
Here's a look at this morning's local coverage of the four NFC South teams.
- Tight end Jeremy Shockey, who has been brought along slowly as he recovers from a broken fibula, is expected to play in this week's preseason game against Cincinnati.
- Cornerback Jason David may be falling behind rookie Tracy Porter on the depth chart.
- Rookie tackle Jeff Otah allegedly had his SUV stolen by one of Charlotte's most-wanted criminals.
- Time for the annual story on how this finally will be a breakout year for linebacker Thomas Davis.
- The release of left tackle Luke Petitgout might not have been all about his slow recovery from knee surgery. There's a report Petitgout is facing a four-game suspension by the league.
- Don't rule out the possibility of running back Michael Bennett playing a significant role in the offense.
- Here's a comparison of the preseason stats for the four Atlanta quarterbacks. Bottom line here: If rookie Matt Ryan plays well this week, he'll be the starter on opening day. If not, the Falcons will revert to veteran Chris Redman.
- Defensive end John Abraham, who'd been out with an ankle injury since the first preseason game, has returned to practice.