CampTour'12: Packers Day 2
July, 31, 2012
By Kevin Seifert | ESPN.com
GREEN BAY, Wis. -- I didn't forget ya. Yes, I realize the Green Bay Packers' practice ended about seven hours ago, but, well, a bunch of things happened in between. Without further ado, let's run through some Tuesday practice thoughts -- if I can remember back that far.
- Second-year cornerback Davon House took his turn with the starting defense, replacing Jarrett Bush as the outside cornerback in base and nickel on the heels of a strong practice Monday. The Packers have already rotated several players into that role, but House sure seemed to have received at least a temporary promotion. Coach Mike McCarthy spoke after practice about the importance of "stacking success" for young players and ensuring that they maintained confidence gained from a good play or practice.
- Many of you have asked about the arm of backup quarterback Graham Harrell. Sometimes on-site judgments on him can be unfair because it usually comes after seeing Aaron Rodgers rifle a pass, but Harrell's arm doesn't appear to be an impediment to running the Packers offense. Tuesday, I watched him throw an accurate pass that went about 45 yards downfield but also from one hashmark to the far sideline. That's NFL-caliber.
- Receiver Randall Cobb put a nifty double move on cornerback Otis Merrill and hauled in a deep pass down the right sideline from Rodgers in 1-on-1 drills. Everything I've seen from Cobb suggests he's ready to take the next step in the Packers' offense.
- Defensive end Jarius Wynn came out of nowhere to intercept a Rodgers screen pass and return it for a touchdown. Wynn has been pretty quiet in a camp that has featured a number of possible replacements for his job.
- Receiver Donald Driver had a nice practice, beating House and Bush for touchdowns during team drills to wild applause from the crowd. Afterwards, Driver said he is going to enjoy "proving the critics wrong" this season.
- On the last play of practice, receiver Tori Gurley made a jumping catch in the corner of the end zone over cornerback Sam Shields.
- Today's interesting fundamental drill at Packers camp: Offensive linemen practiced diving for loose balls, which a coach tossed onto a padded mat with blocking dummies scattered about to create the sense of players standing at the line of scrimmage.
- Earlier Tuesday, I posted some thoughts on safety Morgan Burnett, whom the Packers think is a rising star.
1:00 PM ET Cleveland Atlanta 1:00 PM ET Tennessee Philadelphia 1:00 PM ET Detroit New England 1:00 PM ET Green Bay Minnesota 1:00 PM ET Jacksonville Indianapolis 1:00 PM ET Cincinnati Houston 1:00 PM ET Tampa Bay Chicago 4:05 PM ET Arizona Seattle 4:05 PM ET St. Louis San Diego 4:25 PM ET Miami Denver 4:25 PM ET Washington San Francisco 8:30 PM ET Dallas New York Postponed New York Buffalo
7:00 PM ET New York Buffalo 8:30 PM ET Baltimore New Orleans