Observation deck: Seahawks-Chiefs
August, 24, 2012
By Bill Williamson | ESPN.com
A look at the Chiefs’ 44-14 home loss to Seattle on Friday night:
- Yes, I’m sure many Chiefs fans are freaking out over a home blowout like this. But I can’t join the in the hysteria. Maybe I’m wrong, but the preseason is just the preseason, big win or big loss. Now, if the Chiefs get throttled at home by Atlanta in 16 days, then the hand-wringing should commence. But this loss doesn’t mean the Chiefs will be awful in that game.
- The Chiefs may be the answer to a trivia question: They were the opponent of Russell Wilson's first preseason start. The rookie quarterback was terrific in his staring debut. He beat up the Chiefs pretty good. Should Kansas City be worried that a third-round pick whipped them? It’s not ideal, but again, it’s the preseason, so it really doesn’t matter. Plus, the Chiefs have some injuries. Still, like their performances against St. Louis last week, the Chiefs’ defense showed it is not quite ready for prime time.
- Kansas City defensive linemen Glenn Dorsey, Anthony Toribio and Allen Bailey were all banged up some Friday. Toribio’s injury allowed first-round pick Dontari Poe to play with the first unit, which was valuable.
- Brady Quinn spelled Matt Cassel and it looks like he will win the backup job over Ricky Stanzi, which has long been expected. Quinn threw 10 passes and Stanzi didn’t play. You’d have to think that battle has been decided.
- The Chiefs’ offense was spotty. But it did have a 17-play, 80-yard drive. The Chiefs have had long scoring drives in all three preseason games, which is a good sign.
- Receiver Dwayne Bowe played some as expected. Bowe ended his holdout last week.
- Running back Nate Eachus made a push for a roster spot with 98 yards on 10 carries.
- Receiver Dexter McCluster had a strong game with seven catches for 61 yards and a touchdown.
Final San Diego 22 Buffalo 10 Final Dallas 34 St. Louis 31 Final Washington 34 Philadelphia 37 Final Houston 17 New York 30 Final Minnesota 9 New Orleans 20 Final Tennessee 7 Cincinnati 33 Final Baltimore 23 Cleveland 21 Final Green Bay 7 Detroit 19 Final Indianapolis 44 Jacksonville 17 Final Oakland 9 New England 16 Final San Francisco 14 Arizona 23 Final/OT Denver 20 Seattle 26 Final Kansas City 34 Miami 15 Final Pittsburgh 37 Carolina 19