Bears-Packers I: Countdown to kickoff
September, 13, 2012
By Kevin Seifert | ESPN.com
GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Here are 10 random pregame morsels for you to chew on during, uh, the pregame:
- Here is a handy string of everything we've written about this matchup between the Chicago Bears and Green Bay Packers. It'll change your life if you haven't seen it yet. And remember, I'll spend most of Thursday night's game in our live "Countdown Live" chat. The module will appear on the blog this evening.
- The Packers have won the past four games of this series, but the Bears have a 92-86-6 lead in the all-time rivalry.
- Only twice in their history have the Packers opened the season with consecutive losses at home. The others came in 1988 and 2006, and they missed the playoffs both seasons. Under the current playoff format, the Packers haven't made the playoffs after starting 0-2 no matter where those games were played.
- Our friends at ESPN Stats & Information note that Bears quarterback Jay Cutler is a good opponent for a defense that has struggled to force turnovers and sacks in recent games: "Since the start of 2008, Cutler has thrown two touchdowns and nine interceptions on throws at least 15 yards downfield against the Packers. In fact, Cutler has thrown at least one interception on such throws in each of his last six games against the Packers, and hasn't thrown a touchdown against Green Bay since 2009."
- The Packers haven't always succeeded in getting downfield against the Bears' defense, as we discussed this week. But we should point out that tight end Jermichael Finley has often been a beneficiary of the Bears' focus elsewhere. In his past three games against the Bears, Finley has caught 19 passes for 220 yards and four touchdowns.
- Gary Horton of Scouts Inc.: "The Packers can still be productive in their passing game if the deep ball is taken away, but that requires patience to put long drives together."
- Former Packers executive and current ESPN analyst Andrew Brandt offered some thoughts on the Bears-Packers rivalry.
- Sarah Spain of espnW has a pregame read on the road Bears tight end Kyle Adams took to this game.
- As of this afternoon, the Packers were five-point favorites in this game. ESPN's 14-member panel of experts split 7-7 on picking a winner.
- Rain in Green Bay is expected to end by mid-afternoon, and temperatures will hover around 59 degrees.
9:30 AM ET Detroit Atlanta 1:00 PM ET St. Louis Kansas City 1:00 PM ET Houston Tennessee 1:00 PM ET Minnesota Tampa Bay 1:00 PM ET Seattle Carolina 1:00 PM ET Baltimore Cincinnati 1:00 PM ET Miami Jacksonville 1:00 PM ET Chicago New England 1:00 PM ET Buffalo New York 4:05 PM ET Philadelphia Arizona 4:25 PM ET Oakland Cleveland 4:25 PM ET Indianapolis Pittsburgh 8:30 PM ET Green Bay New Orleans