Quick hits from Mike Smith
January, 16, 2013
By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com
Atlanta coach Mike Smith just finished his Wednesday news conference. There was no earth-shattering news, but let’s run through a bunch of little nuggets.
- Smith said defensive end John Abraham, who aggravated an ankle injury in Sunday’s win against Seattle, practiced on a limited basis. Defensive tackle Jonathan Babineaux also was limited and cornerback Christopher Owens (hamstring) did not practice. Safety William Moore fully participated in practice, but is on the injury report with a hand injury.
- As is his custom, Smith had plenty of praise for the opponent. He said San Francisco has the best offensive line and linebacker corps the Falcons have gone against this season.
- Last week, Smith compared Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson to Fran Tarkenton. On Wednesday, he compared San Francisco’s Colin Kaepernick to a current player -- Carolina’s Cam Newton. Smith said Kaepernick has size and agility comparable to Newton.
- Smith said that in studying the 49ers, they’ve been allowing Kaepernick do more things every week since he took over as the starter.
- The Falcons moved their practice indoors Wednesday due to inclement weather. Smith said the only thing the Falcons weren’t able to work on was their punting game.
Final San Diego 22 Buffalo 10 Final Dallas 34 St. Louis 31 Final Washington 34 Philadelphia 37 Final Houston 17 New York 30 Final Minnesota 9 New Orleans 20 Final Tennessee 7 Cincinnati 33 Final Baltimore 23 Cleveland 21 Final Green Bay 7 Detroit 19 Final Indianapolis 44 Jacksonville 17 Final Oakland 9 New England 16 Final San Francisco 14 Arizona 23 Final/OT Denver 20 Seattle 26 Final Kansas City 34 Miami 15 Final Pittsburgh 37 Carolina 19