Quick hits from Mike Smith
January, 16, 2013
By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com
Atlanta coach Mike Smith just finished his Wednesday news conference. There was no earth-shattering news, but let’s run through a bunch of little nuggets.
- Smith said defensive end John Abraham, who aggravated an ankle injury in Sunday’s win against Seattle, practiced on a limited basis. Defensive tackle Jonathan Babineaux also was limited and cornerback Christopher Owens (hamstring) did not practice. Safety William Moore fully participated in practice, but is on the injury report with a hand injury.
- As is his custom, Smith had plenty of praise for the opponent. He said San Francisco has the best offensive line and linebacker corps the Falcons have gone against this season.
- Last week, Smith compared Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson to Fran Tarkenton. On Wednesday, he compared San Francisco’s Colin Kaepernick to a current player -- Carolina’s Cam Newton. Smith said Kaepernick has size and agility comparable to Newton.
- Smith said that in studying the 49ers, they’ve been allowing Kaepernick do more things every week since he took over as the starter.
- The Falcons moved their practice indoors Wednesday due to inclement weather. Smith said the only thing the Falcons weren’t able to work on was their punting game.
11:10 4th Qtr Atlanta 24 Jacksonville 7 1:11 2nd Qtr Detroit 10 Buffalo 0 13:30 3rd Qtr Indianapolis 0 Cincinnati 14 Halftime New York 0 Philadelphia 13 Halftime St. Louis 10 Miami 0 0:45 2nd Qtr Kansas City 7 Green Bay 20 8:49 2nd Qtr Carolina 3 Pittsburgh 0 6:31 2nd Qtr New England 7 New York 3 7:16 2nd Qtr Washington 10 Tampa Bay 0 4:36 1st Qtr Baltimore 3 New Orleans 7 3:07 1st Qtr Chicago 3 Cleveland 7 6:05 1st Qtr San Francisco 0 Houston 0 3:06 1st Qtr Minnesota 7 Tennessee 0 3:27 1st Qtr Denver 0 Dallas 0 10:00 PM ET Arizona San Diego 10:00 PM ET Seattle Oakland