Denver Broncos executive vice president John Elway said Monday he is comfortable with keeping the No. 28 pick in this week's NFL draft because of the overall depth of the draft.
Elway told reporters the Broncos could decide their own first-round fate, but he is fine with staying put.
“I think we’re open to anything,” Elway said. “That’s really where we’re going to go. Again, this is always so fluid. Plus, going up -- it’s expensive to go up. That’s not saying we wouldn’t take a chance if there was somebody there to be able to go up to. So, I think that you look at the depth of this draft and there are a lot of good football players in this draft. As I stand here now, we’ll get a good football player at No. 28. That’s our plan right now. We’ll see how things go from here through the rest of the week.
“Since I have been doing this in the last three years, there have not been 32 first-round grades, if you understand what I’m saying. You look at 20, 21, 22, 23 first-round grades probably given out every year. So then when you get past that point, you’re looking at second-rounders where those guys are going to have the impact on your also, just not the first-round grades. The depth of the draft is going to determine what you do there at 28, where we are. But, we also think with this year’s draft—as I’ve said, we don’t look at it as there are a ton of impact guys, but there is a lot of depth to it and a lot of real good football players. That’s what we feel like at No. 28, we’re going to be able to get a pretty darn good football player.”
Last year, Denver drafted down from the bottom of the first round into the second round and took defensive end Derek Wolfe, who had a strong rookie season. I think Denver will have a lot of options at No. 28 and I could see the Broncos either decide to stay there or perhaps trading down a bit if the price is right.