NFL Nation: 2014 season predictions
First half thoughts from Texans-Titans
September, 20, 2009
Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Were you expecting a shootout at LP Field? I’ll admit I wasn’t. At the half we’ve got a 24-24 deadlock.
Some thoughts at intermission:
- Here’s the other side of Matt Schaub. Skittish under pressure last week, he’s got three touchdown passes in 30 minutes this week and has made some excellent throws, even without No. 2 receiver Kevin Walter (hamstring) again. And that’s with a handful of drops working against him, too.
- Know how you bemoan a draw on third-and-long every time? The Titans gave everyone in the league film they can show for why it’s worth a crack. Chris Johnson converted a third-and-19 with a 57-yard touchdown run.
- The team that cleans up better may win. Way too many penalties, particularly from jumpy linemen on both sides. Four for each team doesn’t tell the whole story, because we’ve had plays made and penalties declined.
- I am sure we’ll revisit this again, but I can’t help but watch the Texans use more than two safeties when they are healthy and think it’s evidence of how they don’t have two guys worth playing start to finish like other teams want to do. Nice pick for Eugene Wilson. But if Dominique Barber is leaving the field for John Busing at times, what does it say?
- Don’t know who made the biggest mistake on leaving Johnson alone on the 69-yard touchdown. It sure looked like Titans free safety Michael Griffin carelessly bit on play action that resulted in Andre Johnson running alone for a 72-yard TD.
Final Atlanta 24 Jacksonville 14 Final Detroit 23 Buffalo 0 Final Indianapolis 7 Cincinnati 35 Final New York 7 Philadelphia 37 Final St. Louis 13 Miami 14 Final Kansas City 14 Green Bay 34 Final Carolina 10 Pittsburgh 0 Final New England 13 New York 16 Final Washington 24 Tampa Bay 10 Final Baltimore 22 New Orleans 13 Final Chicago 13 Cleveland 33 Final San Francisco 40 Houston 13 Final Minnesota 19 Tennessee 3 Final Denver 27 Dallas 3 Final Arizona 9 San Diego 12 Final Seattle 31 Oakland 41