- Vaughn McClure, ESPN Atlanta Falcons reporter
- 0 Shares
• Matt Ryan continues to struggle with his passes. He almost got picked off by Seahawks cornerback Brandon Browner and overthrew Harry Douglas on a third-and-1 play. He simply doesn’t look like himself. He entered the game with seven interceptions in his previous two games. In the first half Sunday, Ryan was 9 of 16 for 53 yards.
• Explosive plays continue to haunt the Falcons. They gave up a 43-yard touchdown from Russell Wilson to Jermaine Kearse and surrendered a 46-yard pass play from Wilson to Golden Tate. Not to mention the 37-yard run allowed to Marshawn Lynch and 30-yard reception by Doug Baldwin right before halftime. True, the Falcons forced field goals in key situations, but the explosive plays are just too much to overcome.
• The matchup between Roddy White and Richard Sherman hasn’t been much of a storyline just yet. The Falcons receiver and Seahawks cornerback did get into a bit off a shoving match early in the game. But since the Falcons have had trouble getting going offensive, White hasn’t been much of a factor in his return to the lineup from hamstring and ankle injuries. White did have a nice 20-yard catch down the middle.
• The Falcons have no chance of winning if Ryan has to beat the Seahawks with his legs. The Falcons’ first third-down conversion came on Ryan’s 10-yard scramble. He averaged 8.0 yards on his two first-half carries. Steven Jackson has 14 yards on seven carries.
• Tight end Tony Gonzalez doesn’t have a catch in the first half. He entered the game with 203 consecutive games with a catch. The Falcons have to find a way to get him involved in the second half.
ATLANTA -- Just a few halftime thoughts with the Atlanta Falcons trailing the Seattle Seahawks, 23-3:• Matt Ryan continues to struggle with his passes.