Thursday, November 28, 2013
Seahawks are top Super Bowl pick in Vegas
By Terry Blount
RENTON, Wash. -- The bookmakers in Las Vegas now list the Seattle Seahawks as the favorite to win the Super Bowl.
According to Bovada, an online betting site, Seattle is 3-1 to win the Super Bowl. Denver is next at 7-2, followed by New Orleans and New England at 13-2 and 7-1, respectively.
Seattle would clinch a playoff spot with a victory over the Saints on Monday night and a loss by either Arizona or San Francisco on Sunday.
Here are a few interesting stats going into the Saints game:
The Seahawks are No. 2 in the NFL in game-altering plays this season, which is defined as pass completions of 16 or more yards or runs of 12 of more yards. Seattle has 100 such plays (59 passing and 41 rushing), only two behind Detroit. But the Seahawks are easily No. 1 in running GAPs, 10 ahead of Philadelphia.
When you look at the team stats, it's easy to see why the Seahawks and the Saints are 1-2 in the NFC right now.
The Saints rank among the top five in the NFL in six categories:
- Total offense: 415 yards per game (3rd)
- Passing offense: 317.3 (2nd)
- Points per game: 27.7 (3rd)
- Total defense: 309.9 (5th)
- Pass defense: 198.0 (3rd)
- Points allowed: 17.8 (5th)
And the Seahawks also are in the top five in six categories:
- Rushing offense: 147.9 (3rd)
- Points per game: 27.8 (2nd)
- Total defense: 293.3 (2nd)
- Pass defense: 180.4 (2nd)
- Points allowed: 16.3 (t2nd)
- Turnover margin: plus-11 (t2nd)
In four of those categories both teams are in the top five, and Seattle is ahead of New Orleans in all four.