Thursday, December 12, 2013
Wayne says he'll be ready for training camp
By Mike Wells
INDIANAPOLIS -- Indianapolis Colts receiver Reggie Wayne, who is out for the season with a torn ACL, gave an update on his rehabilitation during his weekly radio show on WNDE 1260 in Indianapolis.
Wayne recently met with Dr. John Uribe to get an update on his knee.
Here’s what Wayne said on the radio show:
“He just wanted to see my progression, where I was at. He was actually pretty excited about it, pretty geeked up of where I am after six weeks. He gave me some good words of encouragement, telling me he can’t remember anyone that’s looked this good at this point and time of their surgery. I guess I’m doing something right. He released me to go into that next phase. That next phase is some weight-room stuff, some squats, some things like that. It was a great trip.”
“Full-throttle, we are doing everything football-related six months from surgery. I’m already a month and a half done basically. Right now, I’m not even looking to that. I’m looking to the three-month mark, and that’s where I’m able to do straight ahead running. That’s kind of what I have my eyes set on. I want to make sure at that three-month mark, I’m ready to go start running, no setbacks, and so far so good.”
Wayne has been a regular around the facility and at games, providing an extra opinion to offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton and to his fellow receivers.
Wayne also said during the show that he doesn’t think he’ll take part in the team’s OTA’s, but thinks he'll be ready for the start of training camp.
“Yeah, but I doubt if I’ll participate in them. I want to make sure that I’m right. I think training camp is more of an ideal approach. OTAs and stuff, I probably wouldn’t do that stuff if I was 100 percent healthy. I’ve got my goals. I’m breaking them down, and hopefully I can get “Comeback Player of the Year” next year. That’s what I want to get accomplished.”