Friday, February 21, 2014
Grigson, Pagano set to speak at combine
By Mike Wells
INDIANAPOLIS -- Indianapolis Colts general manager Ryan Grigson and coach Chuck Pagano will address the media at the scouting combine on Friday afternoon.
Here are some of the topics that will likely be discussed:
- Cornerback Vontae Davis' free-agency status
- What Rob Chudzinski's role as special assistant to Pagano will be.
- How Chudzinski's hire will impact offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton.
- Running back Trent Richardson's shoulder surgery.
- Pagano's defense, especially after Seattle's defense dominated Peyton Manning & Co. in the Super Bowl.
- Grigson's free-agency approach since the Colts will have about $37 million in salary-cap space but no first-round pick.
Combine schedule: Place-kickers and special-teamers will work out for NFL personnel. They will join offensive linemen and tight ends for the bench press, psychological testing and team interviews.
Quarterbacks, wide receivers and running backs are measured, take medical exams, participate in team interviews and meet the media.
Defensive linemen and linebackers arrive in town for a medical pre-exam and X-rays, plus an orientation and team interviews.
Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel, potentially the No. 1 overall pick, will be the center of attention during the media session. Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater and UCF's Blake Bortles are the other top quarterbacks in the draft. Sammy Watkins from Clemson, Marqise Lee from USC and Manziel's teammate at Texas A&M, Mike Evans, are considered the top receivers.