Tuesday, March 25, 2014
Redskins remain interested in Britt
By John Keim
ORLANDO, Fla. -- The Washington Redskins haven't abandoned their desire to sign Kenny Britt. They're just waiting for him to make up his mind, a team source said Tuesday.
Britt, the talented wide receiver whose career has been marked by off-field issues and a major knee injury, also reportedly has visited Carolina, St. Louis, Buffalo and New England. But Patriots owner Robert Kraft reportedly said New England would not sign Britt.
That would leave the other four teams in the hunt for his services. Britt told Buffalo reporters Friday that he hoped to make his mind up over the weekend. Clearly, that didn't happen. His agent, Pat Dye, told Fox Sports 1 reporter Alex Marvez that they were looking for a short-term deal.
The Redskins still would like to add depth at receiver. They won't re-sign Josh Morgan, and Leonard Hankerson is recovering from ACL surgery. Santana Moss was signed to a one-year deal with only a $65,000 bonus, which means he's far from a roster lock. They have added Andre Roberts in free agency to pair with Pierre Garcon.
Tennessee drafted Britt in the first round in 2009. He tore the ACL and MCL in his right knee early in the 2011 season -- he was off to the best start of his career (17 catches, 289 yards, three touchdowns in three games). Since returning, Britt has not been as effective. He went from 45 catches in 2012 to just 11 receptions for 96 yards this past season. His best season occurred in 2010 when he caught 42 passes for 775 yards and nine touchdowns. And Britt's off-field issues include multiple arrests.
"Last year, I'd rather keep last year in the past and things like that," Britt told Buffalo reporters. "It came and went, and I'm here right now, so I'm trying to get this free agency over with."