Saturday, July 26, 2014
Jaguars Camp Report: Day 2
By Michael DiRocco
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- A daily review of the hot topics coming out of Jacksonville Jaguars training camp.
- After having an inconsistent first day, rookie quarterback Blake Bortles rebounded with a good practice. His throws were more crisp and on target during drills, but he was really impressive during the two-minute drill. He led the Jaguars to a touchdown in just three plays, completing passes to Kerry Taylor, Clay Harbor, and Damian Copeland. The pass to Taylor went for a big gain down the left sideline. Bortles completed all six of his passes during the 11-on-11 work. “I thought he had a nice day today, especially in that two-minute situation,” coach Gus Bradley said.
- In fact, all the quarterbacks had a pretty good day. Chad Henne completed 7 of 10 passes during 11-on-11 work. Ricky Stanzi went 8-for-10 and Stephen Morris went 5-for-6. None of the QBs threw an interception. One lowlight: Morris’ only incompletion was on a horrendous pass to the left sideline. The ball wobbled and fluttered and landed about 5 yards out of bounds. It was the worst pass of the first two days of camp but he rebounded with a nice throw on his next pass.
- The competition at safety will be fun to watch over the next month. Strong safety Johnathan Cyprien and free safety Winston Guy were the starters and it was interesting to see Joe Young working with the second unit at strong safety. The fourth-year player from Rutgers played in 36 games (five starts) with Indianapolis.
- Injury report: In addition to the news that receiver Cecil Shorts has a grade two hamstring strain and will be out at least two weeks, linebacker J.T. Thomas (hamstring) and tight end D.J. Tialavea (quad) also left practice. Thomas left the field on a cart.
- Cornerback Demetrius McCray, who is filling in for Alan Ball (ankle) on the first team defense, had a nice pass breakup of Henne’s deep sideline pass to Allen Robinson. … Rookie defensive end Chris Smith was responsible for one of the six incomplete passes in 11-on-11 situations. He knocked down Stanzi’s pass at the line of scrimmage. … There were 2,133 fans in attendance.