Wednesday, August 13, 2014
Packers Camp Report: Day 14
By Rob Demovsky
GREEN BAY, Wis. -- A daily review of the hot topics coming out of Green Bay Packers training camp:
- Before practice on Wednesday, general manager Ted Thompson held his weekly news conference but would not discuss Tuesday's trade of defensive end Jerel Worthy to the New England Patriots. At the time, the trade had not yet been completed because Worthy still needed to pass his physical. Worthy had not practiced at all during camp with the Packers because of a lower back injury, but the trade went through later in the day after the Patriots gave him medical clearance. The Packers will only receive compensation -- believed to be a seventh-round pick -- if Worthy makes the Patriots' 53-man roster.
- For a team that had only 11 interceptions last season, it had to be encouraging to defensive coordinator Dom Capers that his secondary came up with two during Wednesday's practice. Cornerback Tramon Williams, who had a team-high three interceptions last season, picked off fourth-string quarterback Chase Rettig at the goal line in a red-zone period. Safety Sean Richardson then picked off Scott Tolzien. It was Richardson's team-high third interception of camp during 11-on-11 drills. Also, rookie outside linebacker Adrian Hubbard picked off a Tolzien pass while playing on the scout defensive team.
- Another day, another remarkable catch by rookie receiver Jeff Janis. This time, the seventh-round pick, who already has a one-handed catch and several other difficult grabs on his camp resume, made a diving catch on a ball slightly overthrown by Tolzien.
- Coach Mike McCarthy and special teams coach Shawn Slocum don't appear to be shying away from the idea of using a starter on punt returns. Receiver Randall Cobb, safety Micah Hyde and Williams all caught punts with the first unit. Janis took a few with the scout team.
- Mason Crosby had missed only two kicks in all of training camp. He missed that many on Wednesday. After converting 34-of-36 to start, Crosby missed wide right from 42 and 53 yards to go 4-for-6, dropping his camp conversion rate to 90.5 percent (38-of-42).
- Rookie receiver Davante Adams returned to practice after missing two days because of a right wrist injury. The only new injury was linebacker Brad Jones, who sat out after having a dental procedure.
- The Packers will not hold another open practice before Saturday's preseason game at the St. Louis Rams. Players will participate in meetings and walk-through sessions on Thursday.