Saturday, August 30, 2014
Report: Detroit Lions release Kris Durham
By Michael Rothstein
The Detroit Lions have had a very tight wide receiver competition -- and the one player who might have ended up cut is somewhat of a surprise.
The Detroit Free Press has reported the Lions are cutting WR Kris Durham, who started 13 games last season after an injury to Nate Burleson.
Durham had appeared to be safe initially, starting preseason games in place of Calvin Johnson, who the team was resting.
The Lions had signed Durham after Seattle waived him prior to the 2012 season. Durham told me he would spend Saturday watching college football, waiting to see if he would be playing in Detroit for another season. Durham had 49 catches for 645 yards and three touchdowns from 2011 to 2013.
"You never know what's going to happen," Durham said earlier this week. "As far as the emotions go, you're sitting there by your phone. You try to see if you get a phone call, sometimes it's a phone call that says 'Hey, congratulations.' I've been on the other side of that saying, 'Hey, bring your playbook.'
"It's one of those things where you know what you signed up for. Mentally, you kind of prepare yourself as much as possible for the worst and hope for the best."
Durham's release might mean good things for the other three players he was competing with for roster spots: Kevin Ogletree, Ryan Broyles and Corey Fuller.
Here's a list of players who have been reported as waived or released by various outlets as of 1:15 p.m. ET: RB George Winn, RB Mikel Leshoure; WR Kris Durham; OL Darren Keyton; OL Garrett Reynolds; OL Michael Williams; DE Darryl Tapp; LB Brandon Hepburn; LB Shamari Benton; CB Mohammed Seisay; S Nate Ness.
The Lions must be down to 53 players by 4 p.m. ET.