Wednesday, July 23, 2008
Reading the coverage: Spencer vows to play again
Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky
A quick tour around the division this morning.
- The Colts' second-round draft pick, their top pick this season, is a hard worker and an accomplished guitar player. The Indianapolis Star gives us a nice look at guard Mike Pollak. Though he isn't signed yet, his agent said "A deal is on the horizon and he'll be in camp on time."
- Rookie tight end Tom Santi, who will start camp on the PUP list, is recovering from the same surgery that Peyton Manning had -- an infected bursa sac was removed from his knee.
- Virtually every coach and GM in the league is talking confidently about getting their rookies into camp on time. That's the case with Jack Del Rio regarding two first-rounders -- defensive ends Derrick Harvey and Quentin Groves, according to the Florida Times-Union.
- The team's last rookie holdout was quarterback Byron Leftwich in 2003. Like Leftwich, Harvey is represented by CAA. But there are CAA clients on the Jaguars roster, too.
- Despite his recent arrest on drug charges, receiver Matt Jones will be with the team when camp opens Friday, Del Rio said on his radio show.
- The Titans have added lights to one of their three outdoor practice fields, allowing for outdoor night practice without having to go inside or to LP Field, The Tennessean reports.
- Vince Young and Kevin Mawae say the Titans aren't young and inexperienced anymore. (One aside, Eugene Amano and Leroy Harris are competing to replace the departed Jacob Bell, not Jacob Ford, who's a defensive end and still around).