Tuesday, April 20, 2010
Some fun draft facts
By Pat Yasinskas
This is the time of year when the fine folks in the NFL’s public relations department really earn their pay.
Thanks to them, my wake-up call this morning came from a FedEx driver, who delivered a package with bios on just about every draft prospect you can imagine. They’re also sending out a steady stream of draft-related e-mails. Some of them are very lengthy, but you can find some really interesting stuff if you take the time to sort through them.
One of my favorites is the little “fun facts’’ section that came in an e-mail just a bit ago. I don’t have space to share them all with you, so I picked out five that I thought were pretty interesting:
- Tennessee safety Eric Berry studied dentistry at Tennessee and interned at a Georgia dentist office this past summer.
- South Florida wide receiver Carlton Mitchell’s mother, Angela, is the “cut man’’ for professional boxer Antonio Tarver.
- Oklahoma’s Sam Bradford, Gerald McCoy and Trent Williams will be in New York for the draft. It will be the first time three players from the same school have been present since Penn State’s Ki-Jana Carter, Kerry Collins and Kyle Brady were there in 1995.
- Speaking of Oklahoma, the Sooners have had a great program, but they’re not known for producing quarterbacks. Although Bradford is likely to change things, you want to take a guess who’s the last Oklahoma quarterback to throw an NFL pass? Jack Jacobs for the Green Bay Packers back in 1949. Before you start filling up the mailbag saying that’s not correct, Troy Aikman doesn’t count. Yes, he spent two years at Oklahoma, but he transferred to UCLA and that’s where he earned his way to the NFL.
- Penn State defensive tackle Jared Odrick has invited his college defensive line coach Larry Johnson Sr. to wait with him in the “green room’’ during the draft. Johnson also is the father of NFL running back Larry Johnson Jr.