Print and Go Back ESPN.com: NFL Nation [Print without images]

Monday, August 2, 2010
Nix elaborates on Schobel divorce

By Tim Graham

The Buffalo Bills simply had enough.

After a news release declared the Bills were done waiting on two-time Pro Bowl pass-rusher Aaron Schobel, general manager Buddy Nix explained the club's wise decision Monday.

The Bills have not released Schobel and hadn't explored trading him as of early Monday afternoon. For now, he remains on the reserve/did not report list. Schobel will have to formally make a choice on whether or not he wants to play or retire. Then the Bills will decide what they'll do.

Nix was definitive Schobel has played his final down for the Bills.

"We're trying to get our team ready to play this year, and we just thought it was time for us to move forward," Nix said. "We're really working some good players at that position, which really didn't have anything to do with it, but we're trying to get ready to play in 2010, and we think that's what we needed to do."

Nix added Schobel's base salary of $6 million this year and $6.5 million each of the next two seasons didn't play a role.

But his absence throughout the offseason clearly bothered Nix, who had been courteous in speaking about Schobel until Monday.

The Bills have switched from a 4-3 defense to a 3-4, where Schobel would need to play outside linebacker. He has been a defensive end his entire career.

"Obviously, he's missed some learning," Nix said. "There's no doubt about it. But the bottom line is that we've got guys that have worked hard. They're doing everything they can, everything we ask them to do. We're thinking about them.

"Every decision we make will be based on what's best for us, what's best for this team and what's best for the Bills. I've told you guys that from the start, and that's going to stay true."