Thursday, December 16, 2010
FavreWatch: Ready to call it a career
By Kevin Seifert
EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- Lost in the insanity of a still-unconfirmed game site Thursday was that Minnesota Vikings quarterback Brett Favre ruled himself out indefinitely because of continued numbness in his right hand.
Interim coach Leslie Frazier has held out hope that Favre could play Monday night against the Chicago Bears, but Favre strongly downplayed that possibility. He confirmed that he had an ultrasound test earlier this week, but said it was to look for a blood clot, not to identify nerve damage. The test proved negative for a blood clot.
Instead, it appears that rookie Joe Webb will start the game with veteran newcomer Patrick Ramsey as his backup.
"I don't see any change today," Favre said. "... There is still some numbness and discomfort, so ... there's no way I would even consider it with those symptoms still. I think it would be foolish to even think that way."
Although the Vikings haven't placed him on injured reserve, I strongly suspect Favre believes he won't play again this season. Asked if he would resume practicing if the numbness dissipated, Favre smiled and said: "I suppose." He also was vague on the protocol for recovery. "I think time would be the best remedy," he said.
And to be clear, I don't blame Favre one bit. If the Vikings want to use his continued presence on the active roster as a ruse in the name of competitive advantage, that's up to them. But he has taken a beating this season, and with the team eliminated from playoff contention, there is no reason for him to try playing in anything close to the condition he's in.
In his 20th season, Favre didn't seem interested in returning to the field just for a so-called final hurrah.
"If it is meant to be, it is meant to be," he said. "I am not going to beat myself up over it one way or the other. I know up to this point, I came in and did everything I could do, don't regret it one bit. If it is meant to be over, then so be it."