Print and Go Back ESPN.com: NFL Nation [Print without images]

Thursday, July 28, 2011
Redskins cut Rabach, pursue Jenkins?

By Dan Graziano

John Clayton emails his report that "the Washington Redskins have terminated the contract of center Casey Rabach, a source said. Rabach, 33, was scheduled to make $3 million this season."

I've heard from some Redskins fans who were hoping for this, as Rabach has obviously slipped in recent years. He's well liked and respected in the locker room and around the team. But as they position themselves for other moves, such as a run at defensive end Cullen Jenkins, the Redskins decided the $3 million savings would be worth more to them. Will Montgomery or Kory Lichtensteiger can slide in as Rabach's replacement, but then only one of those guys can play guard, so the Redskins could still be on the hunt for a new interior offensive lineman, be it a guard or a center. They also need a right tackle, as Jammal Brown is a free agent and we've heard no news yet on whether he'll be re-signed. So still more work to do as the Redskins continue their rebuilding project on their offensive line.

They're working on defensive line, too, even with Barry Cofield in the fold. I am hearing lots of talk out there today among NFL folks that they're working hard on trying to bring in Jenkins, which would really be a nice move. With Cofield and Jenkins playing in front of linebackers Brian Orakpo and Ryan Kerrigan, the Redskins could have a somewhat fearsome pass rush. They do appear to be clearing some room for such a pursuit, as defensive end Phillip Daniels tweeted this morning that he's been released.

Oh, and on an unrelated note, the agent for receiver Brandon Stokley, who tweeted Wednesday that his client had signed with the Redskins, now says he tweeted too soon and Stokley won't be a Redskin after all. So just Santana Moss, Jabar Gaffney and Donte' Stallworth added to the receiving corps so far.