Thursday, March 12, 2009
Black and Blue all over: Schwartz on Rome
Posted by ESPN.com's Kevin Seifert
Let's change things up a bit Thursday morning and lead off our coverage with some multimedia. In the video below, you'll see Jim Rome's eight-minute interview Wednesday with Detroit coach Jim Schwartz on ESPN.
A couple of highlights:
- Schwartz said the Lions have refurbished their weight room and "changed up" the locker room at their practice facility. "Basically," he said, "[players] can step in the first day and say, 'Wow, things are different around here'"
- On Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford: "He still has some hoops to jump through for us." Asked to be more specific, Schwartz said: "We need to spend some time with him on the board, talking football, on a little more in-depth basis."
Here's the full video:
And now, let's march around the NFC North:
- New Bears safety Josh Bullocks is the twin brother of Detroit safety Daniel Bullocks, notes Brad Biggs of the Chicago Sun-Times. The total value of the one-year deal Bullocks signed Wednesday is $1.2 million, with $525,000 guaranteed.
- Bob LeGere of the Daily Herald: "At the end of the 2008 regular season, [Bears coach] Lovie Smith said his team was close. Whatever it was Smith thought his team was close to, they're farther away from it now than when they started."
- Alabama left tackle Andre Smith might have fallen past Green Bay's No. 9 overall pick after struggling during his Pro Day on Wednesday. Pete Dougherty of the Green Bay Press-Gazette delves into the situation.
- Here's one story we missed Wednesday: Packers defensive end Mike Montgomery is mulling the team's offer to return to Green Bay. Bob McGinn and Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel have the story.
- John Sullivan, Minnesota's heir apparent at center, has been in regular touch with predecessor Matt Birk since Birk signed last week with Baltimore. Here are stories in the Star Tribune and St. Paul Pioneer Press after a series of interviews Sullivan gave Wednesday.