NFL Nation: Charles spencer
Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky
Did I miss something good? What do you need to read about from Colts camp? Hit my mailbag.
- Cut Tuesday, offensive lineman Charles Spencer was claimed off waivers by Carolina.
- Meghan Manfull believes Duane Brown will sign in time for camp.
- I exchanged e-mails this morning with Drew Rosenhaus and Bruce Tollner, and they confirmed their clients, Quinn Gray and Jared Lorenzen, respectively, have signed with the Colts. Indianapolis now has multiple alternatives to get through practices and the preseason for the duration of Peyton Manning's rehabilitation from knee surgery.
- The Colts went from one to eight in a day on draft pick contract agreements. Only sixth-round tight end Tom Santi's contract status was unknown Wednesday night, the Indianapolis Star reports. Indy reports to camp by 2 p.m. in Terre Haute, Ind. Though Peyton Manning won't be there, I'll be manning the parking lot, bringing you some quotes and color.
- Because of all their injuries, Tony Dungy plans to scale things back, especially early.
- Quentin Groves appears more likely to join the Jaguars on time than Derrick Harvey, according to the Florida Times-Union. Second rounders, generally, do sign before first rounders.
- Here is The Tennessean's take on Jason Jones' contract, Bryce Fisher's release and hopes for Chris Johnson to be in on time. (Here is my thinking on Jones and Fisher).
- According to Jim Wyatt, there's little progress on Albert Haynesworth's desire for an out tied to his franchise tender that would prohibit the Titans from tagging him again next year.
- Big Albert got a ticket for topping 100 mph in March, and appeared in court Wednesday. You can try to judge his weight and fitness, as well as his courtroom demeanor, in a video here.
Random leftover thought: The installation of lights on a Titans practice field means the team won't have to go to LP Field a couple times for late practice. While the Titans hardly have Pittsburgh's turf issues, Tennessee's grass has been a problem late in some seasons. Perhaps a little less wear and tear early will help.
Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky
A quick tour around the division this morning.
- Charles Spencer was cut by Houston but vowed his comeback from a 2006 knee injury is not over. "Of course I'm going to play football again," Spencer told Meghan Manfull of the Houston Chronicle. "I'll find a job."
- The Colts' second-round draft pick, their top pick this season, is a hard worker and an accomplished guitar player. The Indianapolis Star gives us a nice look at guard Mike Pollak. Though he isn't signed yet, his agent said "A deal is on the horizon and he'll be in camp on time."
- Rookie tight end Tom Santi, who will start camp on the PUP list, is recovering from the same surgery that Peyton Manning had -- an infected bursa sac was removed from his knee.
- Virtually every coach and GM in the league is talking confidently about getting their rookies into camp on time. That's the case with Jack Del Rio regarding two first-rounders -- defensive ends Derrick Harvey and Quentin Groves, according to the Florida Times-Union.
- The team's last rookie holdout was quarterback Byron Leftwich in 2003. Like Leftwich, Harvey is represented by CAA. But there are CAA clients on the Jaguars roster, too.
- Despite his recent arrest on drug charges, receiver Matt Jones will be with the team when camp opens Friday, Del Rio said on his radio show.
- The Titans have added lights to one of their three outdoor practice fields, allowing for outdoor night practice without having to go inside or to LP Field, The Tennessean reports.
- Vince Young and Kevin Mawae say the Titans aren't young and inexperienced anymore. (One aside, Eugene Amano and Leroy Harris are competing to replace the departed Jacob Bell, not Jacob Ford, who's a defensive end and still around).
1:00 PM ET San Diego Buffalo 1:00 PM ET Dallas St. Louis 1:00 PM ET Washington Philadelphia 1:00 PM ET Houston New York 1:00 PM ET Minnesota New Orleans 1:00 PM ET Tennessee Cincinnati 1:00 PM ET Baltimore Cleveland 1:00 PM ET Green Bay Detroit 1:00 PM ET Indianapolis Jacksonville 1:00 PM ET Oakland New England 4:05 PM ET San Francisco Arizona 4:25 PM ET Denver Seattle 4:25 PM ET Kansas City Miami 8:30 PM ET Pittsburgh Carolina