NFL Nation: Indiana State
INDIANAPOLIS -- Hello there. I'm on the ground at the epicenter of NFL draft preparation, where we were greeted Wednesday evening to a very NFC North-like mixture of rain and snow.
I'll be heading over to the Lucas Oil Stadium in a bit and will start firing off dispatches as soon as I encounter something that's fire-off-able. I'm expecting to run into at least one NFC North coach and one personnel man Thursday morning. I'll let you spend the next few hours guessing who.
Thanks to those of you who let me know what their combine-specific interests were. I'll do my best to accommodate. In the meantime, let's make our regular shuffle through the NFC North:
- Tom Kowalski of Mlive.com reports that the Lions owe quarterback Daunte Culpepper a small roster bonus "sometime after the middle of March." The rest of what Culpepper was to receive -- $2.5 million on Feb. 27 -- will be available through incentives. There are conflicting reports on this issue, but the bottom line is that the Lions have bought themselves more time to figure out their quarterback position.
- Green Bay officials have held contract discussions with free agent right tackle Mark Tauscher, according to this report from Jason Wilde of the Wisconsin State Journal. Tauscher is recovering from a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee.
- Also from Wilde, Packers general manager Ted Thompson had this to say scouting players for a 3-4 defense: "A good football player is a good football player. At certain positions, you might see a little different body types, and we might line 'em up at different positions, but we're still trying to find good football players."
- Now for some lifestyle news: Chicago linebacker Brian Urlacher was spotted on Valentine's Day with one of actor George Clooney's ex-girlfriends, according to the Las Vegas Sun via the Chicago Tribune.
- After getting blasted by a team official for his inaction on the stadium issue, Minnesota governor Tim Pawlenty met last week with Vikings owner Zygi Wilf, according to Mike Kaszuba of the Star Tribune. For what it's worth, Kaszuba's report contains several examples of conciliatory rhetoric from state officials.
- Former Minnesota receiver Troy Walters, a fifth-round draft choice in 2000, was named offensive coordinator at Indiana State. He also played for Indianapolis, Arizona and Detroit.
Final Chicago 17 Detroit 34 Final Philadelphia 33 Dallas 10 Final Seattle 19 San Francisco 3
1:00 PM ET Washington Indianapolis 1:00 PM ET Tennessee Houston 1:00 PM ET Cleveland Buffalo 1:00 PM ET San Diego Baltimore 1:00 PM ET New York Jacksonville 1:00 PM ET Cincinnati Tampa Bay 1:00 PM ET Oakland St. Louis 1:00 PM ET New Orleans Pittsburgh 1:00 PM ET Carolina Minnesota 4:05 PM ET Arizona Atlanta 4:25 PM ET New England Green Bay 8:30 PM ET Denver Kansas City