NFL Nation: Lav Bauta
Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham
- If Jason Peters' teammates are bothered by the Pro Bowler's contract dispute, they're not about to say it publicly -- yet.
- Rochester Democrat & Chronicle reporter Sal Maiorana writes about the Bills' abounding playoff optimism -- even though they've gone 53-75 since 2000 and have one winning season in that span.
- Sun-Sentinel columnist Ethan J. Skolnick wonders who will emerge as the face of the franchise now that DE Jason Taylor and LB Zach Thomas are gone. My guess is, for better or worse, Ricky Williams. He's the most compelling player on the roster and the national media's only go-to subject for an interesting storyline.
- The Cowboys have cut WR Terry Glenn. Miami Herald columnist Armando Salguero thinks he might be headed to the Dolphins to hook up with Bill Parcells a third time.
- Ronnie Brown tells the Miami Herald's Jeff Darlington what Williams revealed in Austin, Texas, weeks ago: The Dolphins running backs think they each can rush for 1,000 yards this year.
- Edgar Thompson of the Palm Beach Post compares Parcells' latest rebuilding project with another 1-15 team he inherited. Parcells took over the Jets in 1997, finishing 9-7.
New England Patriots
- The Patriots announced Saturday morning they have signed rookie OL Lav Bauta two days after cutting him. The move was possible because veteran OL Gene Mruczkowski has retired.
- The biggest positional question mark of Patriots camp is at left cornerback, and injury-prone Fernando Bryant heads into camp the favorite to win the job vacated by Asante Samuel.
- TE Ben Watson claims his surgically repaired right ankle is doing fine.
- New TE Marcus Pollard sounds like he'll do whatever it takes to get involved in the offense: "If [Tom Brady] tells me to hide eggs, I'm hiding eggs even if it's not Easter." What about candy corn when it's not Halloween?
New York Jets
- New York Daily News columnist Mike Lupica tells the Jets they'd be morons not to go after Brett Favre so they can compete for relevancy in a market that includes the Super Bowl champs and the Yankees. Not so much the Knicks.
- Bob Glauber of Newsday thinks it would be a colossal mistake to trade for Favre.
- New York Times reporter Greg Bishop writes about the Jets' evasiveness in addressing their interest in Favre.
- In case you missed it while watching Favre coverage, the Jets made their contract official with sixth overall draft pick Vernon Gholston. "Anyone interested in talking about Vernon?," GM Mike Tannenbaum pleaded with the New York media.
Final Philadelphia 24 Washington 27 Final/OT San Diego 38 San Francisco 35
14:57 4th Qtr Minnesota 17 Miami 21 9:48 3rd Qtr Baltimore 7 Houston 16 11:15 4th Qtr Detroit 10 Chicago 14 13:30 4th Qtr Cleveland 6 Carolina 10 14:49 4th Qtr Atlanta 20 New Orleans 7 6:05 4th Qtr Green Bay 13 Tampa Bay 3 12:39 4th Qtr Kansas City 6 Pittsburgh 17 10:11 4th Qtr New England 17 New York 13 4:05 PM ET New York St. Louis 4:25 PM ET Buffalo Oakland 4:25 PM ET Indianapolis Dallas 8:30 PM ET Seattle Arizona