Opening night: Points to watch
October, 6, 2011
By ESPN.com | ESPN.com
Flyers at Bruins, 7 p.m. ET
- The Bruins will begin their title defense tonight. The last team to repeat as champion? The Red Wings in 1997-98.
- The Bruins swept the Flyers in the 2011 Eastern Conference semifinals, outscoring them 20-7.
- The Bruins are 7-0-1 in their past eight games versus the Flyers, including the playoffs.
- Bruins goalie Tim Thomas set a season save percentage record last season (.938).
- Jaromir Jagr will play in his first NHL game since May 4, 2008, when he was with the New York Rangers in the Eastern Conference semifinals. His last regular-season NHL game was April 6, 2008. He played the past three seasons for Avangard Omsk of the KHL.
- This past offseason, goalie Ilya Bryzgalov signed a nine-year, $51 million contract with Flyers. Philly also traded captain Mike Richards to the Kings and Jeff Carter to the Blue Jackets.
Canadiens at Maple Leafs, 7 p.m. ET
- The last time we saw the Canadiens, they lost in overtime against the Bruins in Game 7 of the first round.
- The Canadiens' 2.60 goals per game average was lowest by an Eastern Conference playoff team last season.
- The Maple Leafs have missed the playoffs in every post-lockout season. They are one of only two teams (along with the Florida Panthers) to miss the playoffs each season since the lockout.
Penguins at Canucks, 10 p.m. ET
- The Penguins have been without Sidney Crosby since his last game on Jan. 5, 2011, and had a 23-13-5 record without him in the lineup.
- Evgeni Malkin returns after missing the final 29 games of last season with a knee injury; the Penguins went 15-10-4 without Malkin.
- Vancouver forward Daniel Sedin led NHL in points last season (104) and was the league's only 100-point scorer.
- Daniel and Henrik Sedin won point-scoring titles in each of the past two seasons.
- Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo went 21-7-4 with a 1.90 goals-against average at home last season.
- The Penguins are playing their first game in Vancouver since Jan. 16, 2010.
- A player from either the Penguins or Canucks has finished first or second in points in each of the past five seasons.