Gary Bettman responds to NHLPA proposal

December, 6, 2012
12/06/12
8:10
PM ET
UPDATED: 8:23 p.m. ET

Shortly after Donald Fehr said he had been advised by the league that the NHLPA’s latest proposal was “not acceptable,” Gary Bettman addressed the media:

- The sense of optimism “almost inexplicably” disappeared on Wednesday afternoon after having such a good day on Tuesday.

- Owners pushed hard to get a new deal last night and the union’s response was “shockingly silent.”

- Owners in the room were beside themselves at the players’ reaction.

- Key was to have a long-term agreement with the players. “That’s what our fans deserve.”

- League is going to take a deep breath and regroup.

- "Things that we added this week are off the table.”

- The Make Whole provision in its entirety as a concept is off the table.

- Denies that the league has set a drop-dead date for cancelling the season, not even internally.

- On decertification: “We don’t view it in the same way in terms of its impact as apparently the union may.”

- League is not interested in bringing back mediators as the NHLPA requested.

- Can’t envision playing less than a 48-game season.

- Accused Fehr of using spin to make it appear the two sides are closer than where the league thinks they are.

- On this being the third lockout under his watch: “It’s absolutely something that torments me.”

Bill Daly's remarks:

- Said five-year player contract limits hugely important to NHL, as is 10-year CBA term

- Term limit on player contracts is so important to league, it’s “the hill we’ll die on.”

- Owners were “insulted” by players’ reaction to NHL’s offer last night.

- Confirmed the league dropped proposed changes to entry level, arbitration and unrestricted free agency, but keeping that the same is now off the table.

SPONSORED HEADLINES

Comments

You must be signed in to post a comment

Already have an account?