Blues 4, Red Wings 3 (OT)
* The Blues' Jake Allen got his first NHL win in first career start (15 saves)
* Alexander Steen's OT goal was his third straight game with goal (zero goals in first 10 games)
* Chris Stewart's goal and assist gave him five points in his past three games.
* The Blues got their first win this month (0-4-1 in February entering Wednesday)
FROM THE ELIAS SPORTS BUREAU: Steen scored 52 seconds into overtime to give the Blues a 4–3 victory in Detroit and earn a win for Allen. Allen is only the fifth goaltender in the past 40 years to beat the Red Wings in his first NHL start. The others were Mike Palmateer (1976), Roland Melanson (1980), Damian Rhodes (1991) and Rastislav Stana (2003). Palmateer, Melanson and Rhodes all had fairly lengthy NHL careers, but Stana’s win was his only victory in a very brief (six-game) stay in the NHL.
Penguins 4, Senators 2
* Sidney Crosby's second assist on a three-point night was his 400th career assist.
* James Neal had two goals and an assist in his first three-point game this season.
* The Penguins are 2-0-0 against the Senators this season.
* The Senators have lost four straight road games and been outscored 13-7 in those games.
FROM THE ELIAS SPORTS BUREAU: Sidney Crosby assisted on each of the Penguins’ first two goals in their game against Ottawa, enabling him to reach the 400-assist plateau in his 448th NHL game. That’s the fifth-fewest games that any player in NHL history has needed to achieve that assist milestone. The four players who needed fewer games to do it are Wayne Gretzky (290), Mario Lemieux (353), Peter Stastny (411) and Bobby Orr (437).
* James Neal had only two shots on goal against Ottawa, but he scored on both of them to turn a 2–1 deficit into a 3–2 lead for the Penguins. It was the 21st multiple-goal game of Neal’s NHL career, but it was his first multi-goal in which he scored on every one of his shots on goal.
Flames 7, Stars 4
* The Flames had not scored more than four goals in any game this season entering Wednesday.
* Mike Cammalleri's fifth career hat trick was his first since Dec. 4, 2009. It also allowed him to reach 200 career goals.
* The Stars had their four-game win streak snapped.