Capitals 5, Sabres 3
* Capitals: 7th win in last 8 meetings with Sabres
* Alex Ovechkin (WSH): 6th goal in last 7 games vs Sabres
* Sabres: season-worst 5th straight road loss (4 of next 5 games are on road)
FROM ELIAS: Alex Ovechkin gave the Capitals a quick 1–0 lead in their game against the Sabres when he fired a wrist shot past Ryan Miller only 19 seconds after the opening faceoff. It was the 350th goal of Ovechkin’s NHL career and his fastest goal ever from the start of a game. (His previous best was 26 seconds in a game at Philadelphia on March 22 last year.)
Ovechkin’s early tally was also his 16th goal in 24 games against Ryan Miller, matching his highest total versus any NHL goaltender. He has also scored 16 goals versus Kari Lehtonen (in only 18 games).
Penguins 2, Bruins 1
* Penguins: 9th straight win (longest active winning streak in NHL)
* Sidney Crosby (PIT): Goal (13), just 2nd goal in last 7 games
* Joe Vitale (PIT): Scores goal-ahead goal with 32 seconds left in 1st period (1st goal of season)
* All goals in game scored in 1st period
* Bruins: 2-game winning streak ends; 2nd loss to Penguins in Pittsburgh in last 5 days (also lost at PIT Mar. 12)
FROM ELIAS: The Penguins extended their winning streak to nine games with a 2–1 victory over the Bruins on Sunday. It’s the second-longest winning streak in the NHL this season, behind the Blackhawks’ run of 11 consecutive wins from February 15 through March 6. The Penguins’ current winning streak began with five games in which they outscored their opponents, 26–18, and scored at least four goals in each game. But the last four games have been low-scoring affairs, with Pittsburgh outscoring the opposition, 11–4, on aggregate and failing to score more than three goals in any of them.
Senators 4, Jets 1
* Senators: 3-0-2 in last 5 games
* Robin Lehner (Senators): 25 saves; now 2-0-4 this season
* Jakob Silfverberg: 2 goals (entered with 1 goal in last 10 games)
FROM ELIAS: Sergei Gonchar extended his assist streak to seven games, recording two assists in the Senators’ 4–1 win over the Jets. Gonchar’s assist streak is the longest of his 18-year career and the longest in the NHL this season. He’s the third defenseman in Senators history to register assists in each of seven or more consecutive team games in one season. Filip Kuba holds the team record for defensemen with an eight-game assist streak in October 2008, and Erik Karlsson recorded assists in seven straight games in February 2012.
Oilers 3, Predators 2
* Oilers: avenge 6-0 loss to Nashville on March 8
* Jordan Eberle: 1st goal since Feb. 23
* Predators: last 3 straight (matches longest streak of season)
* Predators: 1-8-1 in last 10 road games