Barry Melrose breaks down Panthers-Caps
December, 9, 2010
By ESPN.com | ESPN.com
Barry Melrose says the Capitals have some thinking to do after a 3-0 loss to the Panthers, because they are not playing very good hockey.
- Tomas Vokoun stopped all 36 shots he faces for his 41st career shutout, and Florida extended Washington's current winless streak to four games (0-3-1).
- The Capitals went 6-0-0 against the Panthers last season and scored at least four goals in each game.
- Thursday's game was the first time the Capitals were shut out at home since Jan. 9, 2009, when Columbus' Steve Mason accomplished the feat.
- Michael Frolik, Steve Bernier and Mike Santorelli scored for Florida, which has now won three consecutive games for the first time this season.
- This was the fourth time in franchise history that the Panthers shut out the Capitals, and all four shutouts were in Washington (John Vanbiesbrouck in 1997 and Roberto Luongo in 2004 and ‘06 recorded the other shutouts).