The Bruins and Kings both rallied to win in their conference semifinal series. The Bruins beat the Rangers in overtime. The last 3 postseason wins by the Bruins have all come in overtime. Meanwhile, the Kings scored 2 goals in a 22-second span in the final 2 minutes to beat the Sharks. The defending champs have won 6 straight postseason games after losing the first two games to the Blues in the previous round.
Eastern Conference Semifinals
Bruins 3, Rangers 2 (Bruins lead series, 1-0)
* 1st overtime playoff game between these teams since March 27, 1958 (game also won by Bruins)
* Brad Marchand (BOS): GW goal at 15:40 of overtime (1st career playoff overtime goal)
* Torey Krug (BOS): 1st career playoff goal ties game 2:55 into 3rd period
* Rangers: 0-3 on power play in game; 2-31 (6.5 pct) on power play this postseason (worst among remaining playoff teams)
FROM ELIAS: Zdeno Chara was on ice for more than half of the playing time in the Bruins’ overtime win in Game 1 of their series against the Rangers, and he made his near-constant presence felt by scoring one goal, assisting on Brad Marchand’s game-winning goal, and recording nine shots on goal and six hits. Since 1999, the only other NHL defensemen to score a goal and register nine or more shots on goal in one playoff game are Ray Bourque (one goal, 10 shots in in a double-overtime game at Carolina in 1999) and Erik Karlsson (one goal, 10 shots in an OT win against the Rangers in New York last year).
FROM ELIAS: Rookie defenseman Torey Krug, making his playoff debut, scored the first goal of his NHL career (regular season or postseason) to get the Bruins level with the Rangers at 2–2 in the third period of their second-round series opener. Krug is the only the second Bruins player in the last eight playoff years to score a goal in his first Stanley Cup game; Tyler Seguin did so in Game 1 of the 2011 Eastern Conference Final against Tampa Bay. Krug was the first Boston defenseman to score a goal in his first playoff game since Glen Wesley in 1988 versus Buffalo.
Western Conference Semifinals
Kings 4, Sharks 3 (Kings lead series, 2-0)
* Jeff Carter (LA): Goal (4), assist
* Kings: won 6 straight playoff games since falling behind 2-0 to Blues in Conference Quarterfinals
* Kings: 5-0 at home this postseason, 4 of those wins by 1 goal each
* Sharks: 0-4 on power play for game; 1-16 (6.3 pct) on power play in 4 road games this postseason
* Brad Stuart (SJ): Goal (1), assist
* Scott Gomez (SJ): 2 assists (1st assist was 100th career playoff point)