Rangers are toast -- or are they?
May, 23, 2013
By ESPN Stats & Information | ESPN.com
With a 3-0 series lead, the Bruins on Thursday can eliminate the Rangers and advance to the Eastern Conference finals. The Rangers are 0-10 all-time in playoff series when trailing 3-0; however they are playing one of the three teams in playoff history that has blown a 3-0 series lead: 1942 Red Wings (up 3-0 on Maple Leafs), 1975 Penguins (vs Islanders) and 2010 Bruins (vs Flyers).
Sweep Justice: The Bruins look to finish off the Rangers Thursday night and increase their chances for a Stanley Cup. Over the previous 10 postseasons, six teams have posted sweeps in the conference semifinal round. Four of them went on to win the Stanley Cup (Kings in 2012, Bruins in 2011, Red Wings in 2008 and Lightning in 2004).
Where’s The Scoring? The Blackhawks look for offense Thursday night after being held to just one goal in each of their last two games. From Elias: Chicago was the only team to go through the 2012-13 regular season without a streak of two or more consecutive games in which it scored fewer than two goals.
Eastern Conference Semifinals – Game 4
Bruins at Rangers, 7 ET (Bruins lead series, 3-0)
* Bruins: seeking 2nd series sweep in Conference Semifinals in last 3 postseasons (swept Flyers in 2011 Conference Semifinals)
* Bruins: 6 of 10 games this postseason have been decided by 1 goal (4-2 in those games – won last 3)
* Tuukka Rask (BOS): 3-0, 1.53 GAA, .948 save percent (5 GA on 96 SA in 195:40 played) in this series (4-3, 2.49 GAA, .923 save percent in Conference Quarterfinals vs Maple Leafs)
* Rangers: 0-10 all-time in playoff series when trailing 3-0
* Rangers: 0-10 on power play in this series, 2-38 (5.3 percent) on power play this postseason (worst among remaining playoff teams)
* Rangers: have scored 2 goals or less in 7 of 10 games this season (1-6 in those games)
* Rangers: have not been swept in a playoff series since 2006 postseason (lost 4-0 to Devils in Conference Quarterfinals)
Western Conference Semifinals – Game 4
Blackhawks at Red Wings, 8 ET (Red Wings lead series, 2-1)
* Red Wings: won last 3 home playoff games, 2 coming in overtime
* Red Wings: 1-15 on power play in 4 HOME playoff games)
* Jimmy Howard (DET): 4-1, 2.00 GAA, .942 save percent (10 GA on 171 SA in 300:13 played) over last 5 games
* Blackhawks: only team yet to allow a power play goal in 2013 playoffs (29-29 on penalty kill)
* Blackhawks: 0-8 on power play in ROAD games this postseason (3-14 in home games)
Western Conference Semifinals – Game 5
Sharks at Kings, 10:30 ET (Series tied, 2-2)
* Home team has won all 4 games in series
* Kings: 5-0 at home in 2013 playoffs
* FROM ELIAS: Kings are 20-0 when they score at least 2 goals over the last two playoff years
* Jonathan Quick (LA): 6-0, 1.33 GAA, .949 save percent, 2 shutouts (8 GA on 158 SA in 359:51 played) in last 6 home playoff games dating back to last season
* Sharks: 1-16 on power play in ROAD games this postseason (9-24 at home)
* Logan Couture (SJ): has goals in each of last 2 games (all 5 goals this postseason have come on the power play)