TOP THINGS TO KNOW
1. There have been 147 series (entering Tuesday) that have gone to seven games. On 71 occasions, the team trailing 3-2 after five games went on to win the series (48.3 percent). The Sharks trailed the Kings 3-2 in this series.
2. The Kings are the defending Stanley Cup champions. The last four defending Cup champions to play in a Game 7 the next season lost that Game 7.
3. This is the first time that the Kings and Sharks have met in a Game 7. San Jose won the only previous playoff meeting between these teams in 2011, winning that series in six games.
4. This is the second time that two California teams will meet in Game 7 of a Stanley Cup playoff series. The Kings beat the now-defunct Oakland Seals on the road in Game 7 of a 1969 quarterfinals round series (5-3 on April 13, 1969).
5. The Kings are playing in a Game 7 for the first time since the 2002 conference semifinals (lost at Colorado), while the Sharks are playing in Game 7 in the conference semifinals for the second time in three seasons (beat Detroit in 2011).
Sharks at Kings notes
Defending Stanley Cup Champion Playing Game 7 of a Series - Last 5 Instances
2013 Kings vs Sharks in conf semis Tuesday
2012 Bruins Lost Conf atrs in OT
2011 Blackhawks Lost Conf qtrs in OT
2010 Penguins Lost Conf semis
2009 Red Wings Lost Stanley Cup finals
* The Kings are 3-4 in Game 7s all time.
* The Kings are appearing in a Game 7 for the first time since 2002 and are hosting a Game 7 for the first time since 1989 (won Game 7 over EDM in DSF). This will be only the third time that Los Angeles has hosted a Game 7 (1-1 in Game 7s at home).
* The Kings led this series 3-2 before losing Game 6 in San Jose on Sunday. Los Angeles has a 7-1 series record when leading 3-2 in a best-of-7 series (lone loss was to MIN in 1968 QF).
* The Sharks are 5-2 in Game 7s all time and have won their last two Game 7s, both of which were at home (vs CGY in 2008 CQF & vs DET in 2011 CSF).
* The Sharks are 3-2 on the road in Game 7s. This will be their first road Game 7 since 2002 (lost at COL in Game 7 of ’02 CSF).
San Jose Sharks in Game 7s (5-2)
5/12/11, Western Conference SF vs. Detroit (DET 2 at S.J. 3)
4/22/08, Western Conference QF vs. Calgary (CGY 3 at S.J. 5)
5/15/02, Western Conference SF vs. Colorado (S.J. 0 at COL 1)
4/25/00, Western Conference QF vs. St. Louis (S.J. 3 at STL 1)
5/19/95, Western Conference QF vs. Calgary (S.J. 5 at CGY 4, 2OT)
5/14/94, Western Conference SF vs. Toronto (S.J. 2 at TOR 4)
4/30/94, Western Conference QF vs. Detroit (S.J. 3 at DET 2)
Los Angeles Kings in Game 7s (3-4)
4/29/02, Western Conference QF vs. Colorado (L.A. 0 at COL 4)
5/9/01, Western Conference SF vs. Colorado (L.A. 1 at COL 5)
5/29/93, Western Conference Final vs. Toronto (L.A. 5 at TOR 4)
4/15/89, Smythe Division SF vs. Edmonton (EDM 3 at L.A. 6)
4/25/76, Quarterfinals vs. Boston (L.A. 0 at BOS 3)
4/13/69, Quarterfinals vs. Oakland (L.A. 5 at OAK 3)
4/18/68, Quarterfinals vs. Minnesota (MIN 9 at L.A. 4)