Wednesday night: Playoff points to watch
April, 13, 2011
By ESPN Stats & Information | ESPN.com
No. 5 Tampa Bay at No. 4 Pittsburgh, 7 ET
- The Lightning and Penguins have never played each other in the playoffs.
- Tampa Bay has not won a postseason series since winning the Stanley Cup in 2004.
- The Penguins have not played a playoff game without Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin in the lineup since 2001. Crosby was 13 years old and Malkin was 14.
- Vincent Lecavalier finished the regular season with goals in four straight games, while Martin St. Louis had at least one point in the final nine games.
- The Red Wings defeated the Coyotes in seven games in the Western Conference quarterfinals last season.
- Phoenix went 2-0-2 against Detroit, the first time the Coyotes didn't lose a regular-season game to the Red Wings since 1991-92.
- The Coyotes haven't won a playoff series since 1987, the longest active drought in the NHL.
- Detroit made the postseason for the 20th consecutive season, the longest active streak in the four major professional sports.
No. 8 N.Y. Rangers at No. 1 Washington, 7:30 ET
- After winning the Presidents' Trophy last season, the Capitals were stunned in the first round by the eighth-seeded Canadiens.
- The Rangers won the regular-season series with the Capitals 3-1-0 and outscored Washington 17-6.
- The Capitals' past four playoff series have gone to seven games. In the 2009 Eastern Conference quarterfinals, Washington overcame a 3-1 series deficit to the Rangers to win in Game 7.
- Alex Ovechkin has averaged 1.43 ppg in the playoffs.
- Marian Gaborik hasn't scored a postseason goal since Game 5 of the 2007 Western Conference quarterfinals.
- In their past nine games, the Rangers went 1 for 27 on the power play.
- Brian Boyle led the Rangers with seven points against the Capitals this season, but he has just one goal in his past 19 games.
- The Presidents' Trophy winner faces the Blackhawks for the third straight year looking to exorcise some past playoff demons as Chicago won the two previous postseason matchups.
- No team has repeated as Stanley Cup champions since the Red Wings in 1997 and '98.
- No first-time Presidents' Trophy winner has won the Cup.
- The Canucks led the league in goals per game (3.15), goals against per game (2.20) and power-play percentage (24.3 percent).
- The Hawks will start a goalie in Corey Crawford that has never started a postseason game.
- Daniel Sedin led the NHL in points one year after his brother Henrik did so. They are the first brothers to lead the league in scoring in consecutive years.
- Marian Hossa has reached the Stanley Cup finals in each of the past three seasons. Billy Carroll is the last player to make four straight finals appearances, according to Elias.
- The Predators have never won a playoff series, going 0-5 in the conference quarterfinals.
- Nashville and Anaheim have never played each other in the postseason.
- Corey Perry scored 19 goals in his final 16 games of the regular season to win the Rocket Richard Trophy for the most goals in the NHL with 50. The line of Perry, Ryan Getzlaf and Bobby Ryan combined for 71 points in that span.
- Pekka Rinne had the third-best goals-against average at 2.12, the lowest in Predators history.