Sunday, October 24, 2010
Four stars of the night...
... Because three just wasn't enough.
Some nights are all about strong goaltending, but Saturday was not one of those nights. These four stars all found their way into the net on more than one occasion.
Henrik Zetterberg -- The Red Wings' center opened the scoring on the power play, tied the game in the third, assisted on the game winner and added another assist just for kicks. Zetterberg's four-point performance on a night the Wings had to rally past the Ducks is enough to outshine Pavel Datsyuk's winning score.
Brad Richardson -- At 25 years, 8 months, Richardson came up big all evening for the Kings with three goals against his old team. Richardson's tiebreaking short-handed tally late in the third period gave the Kings their fourth win in five games.
Alexander Semin -- Alex Ovechkin did nothing, the power play came up empty and the Caps won in overtime. How does that happen? Alexander Semin scores three goals. Semin, who had two goals in his first seven games, recorded his fourth career hat trick and his first since February.
John Tavares -- The No. 1 pick in the 2009 draft was all the Islanders' offense had going for it against the Panthers. Tavares had his first three-goal game in the NHL, but all didn't end well. "It doesn't mean a lot. We didn't get the two points," Tavares said after the loss.
Give us your four stars of the night »
- Artem Anisimov and Alexander Frolov scored off bouncing pucks 25 seconds apart in the first period, Henrik Lundqvist stopped 35 shots and the Rangers held off the Bruins. Rangers 3, Bruins 2 »
- Zetterberg had two goals and two assists, but Datsyuk's goal with 12 seconds left capped the Red Wings' rally. Red Wings 5, Ducks 4 »
- With Ilya Kovalchuk benched for undisclosed reasons, the Sabres ran out goalie Johan Hedberg and ran over the Devils. Sabres 6, Devils 1 »
- Carey Price made 19 saves for his first shutout in nearly two years as Andrei Kostitsyn scored twice in Montreal's win. Canadiens 3, Senators 0 »
- Flyers captain Mike Richards scored his first goal of the season and added two assists to help Philadelphia snap a three-game skid. Flyers 5, Maple Leafs 2 »
- Semin scored three goals and Tomas Fleischmann got the game-winner 1:37 into overtime for Washington. Capitals 4, Thrashers 3 (OT) »
- Radek Dvorak's goal with 6:32 left in the third period lifted the Panthers to victory and spoiled Tavares's hat trick. Panthers 4, Islanders 3 »
- Pekka Rinne made 30 saves for his 15th NHL shutout to make Cal O'Reilly's goal in the first minute hold up for Nashville. Predators 1, Stars 0 »
- Erik Johnson scored 50 seconds into overtime, Jaroslav Halak made 31 saves and the Blues won their 10th straight at home. Blues 1, Penguins 0 (OT) »
- Antoine Vermette scored on a deflection in the third period to snap a tie, and the Blue Jackets rebounded from an early two-goal deficit to win. Blue Jackets 3, Blackhawks 2 »
- Alexei Ponikarovsky, Anze Kopitar and Dustin Brown backed Richardson's hat trick to help the Kings win a matchup of the two youngest teams in the NHL. Kings 6, Avalanche 4 »
- Anton Babchuk scored 2:52 into overtime and the Hurricanes won despite squandering a three-goal lead. Hurricanes 4, Coyotes 3 (OT) »
- Joe Pavelski had a goal and two assists, Joe Thornton had three assists and the Sharks handed the Oilers their fourth straight loss. Sharks 6, Oilers 1 »