Sunday, May 13, 2012
Eastern Conference finals facts
By Jason York, ESPN Statistics & Information
No. 1 New York Rangers vs. No. 6 New Jersey
• The Devils have the best 5-on-5 goals for/against ratio (1.85) among playoff teams.
• The Devils’ penalty-killing percentage has rebounded toward its regular-season excellence. The Devils allowed nine power-play goals against the Panthers in the quarterfinals but killed 16 of 19 chances in five games against the Flyers in the semifinals.
• Forwards have scored 32 of 36 goals scored for the Devils this postseason with Ilya Kovalchuk and Travis Zajac leading the way with five goals each.
• Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist has yet to allow more than three goals in a game this postseason and has allowed two or less in 10 of 14 games.
• The Rangers have found it tough to score goals in the postseason but their shots have to hit the net too. The Rangers lead all playoff teams in missed shots with 172.
• The Rangers’ physical play has not diminished in the postseason as they lead all teams with 486 hits in 14 games (34.7 per game). The Rangers were also the league’s biggest hitting team in the regular season with 2,419 hits (29.5 per game).