Monday, June 11, 2012
Morning jam: Game 6 facts
By ESPN Stats and Information Group, Elias Sports Bureau
* This will be the 5th straight Stanley Cup finals that will be decided in 6 or 7 games
* Team scoring first has won all 5 games in series
* Kings: haven’t lost 3 straight since Feb. 16-22
* Anze Kopitar: 0 shots over past 2 games; 2 shots in past 4 games
* Devils: 3rd team in Stanley Cup finals history to force Game 6 after trailing 3-0
* Devils: 2-0 in Game 6s in playoffs (won both 3-2 in OT)
* Devils: won 3 of past 4 road games
* The Stanley Cup would reside in California for the second time in six seasons (Anaheim in 2007). That was the only other Stanley Cup for California.
* LA would become the first 8-seed to win the Stanley Cup since the conference-based playoff format was introduced in 1994. In fact, no team seeded 6th or worse has won the Cup in this format. The Devils are the lowest seed to win the Cup, winning as a 5-seed in 1995.
* The Kings would win their first Stanley Cup in their 44th season. The last team to win the Cup for the first time was the 2007 Ducks. From Elias: The longest wait for an NHL team before winning its first Stanley Cup is 32 seasons by the Minnesota/Dallas franchise. The North Stars entered the NHL in 1967-68 and won the Cup in 1999 as the Dallas Stars.
NOTE FROM ELIAS: Three Major League Baseball teams waited 44 or more seasons for their first World Series title: the Phillies won the World Series in their 98th season (1980), the Dodgers in their 66th (1955) and the Orioles in their 66th (1966). The NBA record belongs to the Pistons, who waited 41 seasons for their first championship. The NFL record is owned by the Saints, who won the Super Bowl following the 2009 season, their 43rd in the league.
* A Kings win would make this a fourth straight season in which the Stanley Cup will be won by a team who had a significant drought.