Thursday, July 19, 2012
Morning Links: Interest in Jonathan Bernier
- A source told the Toronto Sun that the Maple Leafs' interest in Kings backup Jonathan Bernier has intensified. It is unclear if an actual offer has been made, but Leafs forward Matt Frattin has been mentioned in talks, according to the report.
- Shane Doan hopes Coyotes potential buyer Greg Jamison will give him some reassurance by Friday that the sale of the team will go through, according to the Arizona Republic. Doan's agent said the forward's preference is to return to Phoenix, but they will narrow down the list of options to four to six teams by this weekend, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
- The CEO of MADD Canada wants the NHL to follow steps taken by the NFL when it comes to players convicted of driving drunk, according to the Winnipeg Free Press. The NFL has punished players for driving impaired and had MADD address rookies. Andrew Murie told the paper that Gary Bettman "has shown no interest."
- Jordin Tootoo told reporters he is in the prime of his career and ready to earn a larger role when he was introduced by the Red Wings on Wednesday, according to The Detroit News. "I'm a guy who gets out there and works, you know?" Tootoo said, according to the report. "I love my teammates. I play for them, and my ultimate goal is winning. I'm going to do whatever it takes."
- Adrian Aucoin said he knows the Blue Jackets signed him to mentor their young players, but he would not have gone to Columbus if both sides didn't agree that Aucoin could still be a productive player, according to The Columbus Dispatch.