Wednesday, July 25, 2012
Morning Links: Rick Nash trade reaction
- The Detroit Red Wings haven't talked to Tomas Holmstrom about playing next season and expect the 38-year-old to retire, according to the Detroit Free Press.
- Brandon Dubinsky had nothing but good things to say about the city of New York after learning of his trade to the Columbus Blue Jackets, but admitted he was surprised, according to the New York Daily News. "When deadlines like the trade deadline and the draft pass, those are sort of times when the trades go through, and July 1 goes through. So when all that was said and done, I was definitely caught a little bit by surprise. I don't think you ever expect to get traded," Dubinsky said, according to the report.
- Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said that making a trade for Rick Nash would have required him parting with players like Johan Franzan, Valtteri Filppula, Brendan Smith or Gustav Nyquist in addition to a first-round draft pick, and he wasn't willing to do that, according to the Detroit Free Press.
- Saku Koivu took part in the Olympic torch relay on Tuesday in the London Borough of Hillingdon, according to The Montreal Gazette. "It wasn’t very long, but as an experience it was phenomenal. It was fantastic to see the reaction of the people, how excited they were," Koivu said, according to the paper.
- Rick DiPietro said it is an odd feeling to be part of the NHLPA's negotiation committee for collective bargaining talks, but he keeps in mind that he is there to represent the best interests of 750 other players, according to Newsday.