Friday, August 3, 2012
Morning Links: Kesler's health, Rask's deal
- Last week, Canucks GM Mike Gillis said Ryan Kesler was ahead of schedule as he recovers from offseason shoulder and wrist surgeries, but Kesler's agent said that isn't true, according to The (Vancouver) Province. Kurt Overhardt told the paper, “He’s not ahead of schedule and there’s no rushing him back. He’s on course to return in December and he’s not returning until he’s 100 percent. Don’t expect him until December.”
- Tuukka Rask is ready to step into the No. 1 goaltending spot for the Bruins as if Tim Thomas is never coming back, according to The Boston Globe. Rask added that signing a one-year contract gives him a chance to prove himself. "And if I have a good year, then maybe I sign a longer deal. And if I suck, then kick me out, you know? ... Sometimes you have to roll the dice a bit and see what happens," Rask told the paper.
- It appears that Jason Arnott, 37, will not be re-signed by the St. Louis Blues because the team wants to fill the position from within with a younger player, according to The (Vancouver) Province.
- Mark Messier won a $6 million arbitration case against the Vancouver Canucks stemming from the five-year contract Messier signed with the Canucks in 1997, according to The Vancouver Sun.
- Tampa Bay Lightning prospect Jaroslav Janus will play in Europe next season so that he can get as much playing time as possible, according to the Tampa Bay Times. Janus has not signed a contract in Europe yet, but assistant GM Julien BriseBois told the paper that the team and Janus "mutually agreed the best thing ... is for him to play as many games as possible next year. We told the agent we would help any way we could to help achieve that. I think they're looking in Europe."