Wednesday, August 29, 2012
Morning Links: Rookie uncertainty
By Sarah Goldstein
- The uncertainty of playing in the NHL is heightened for the top prospects this season as they don't even know if there will be a season because of on-going CBA negotiations. These prospects talked to the Toronto Sun as they posed for their rookie trading cards and answered some burning questions for the Toronto Star.
- Blues defenseman Alex Pietrangelo will have surgery on a lower-body injury, GM Doug Armstrong confirmed to NHL.com.
- Canucks prospect Nicklas Jensen will play for AIK of the Swedish Elite League this season unless there is a new CBA in place by next month, according to The (Vancouver) Province.
- Red Wings GM Ken Holland told mlive.com he needs to sign one or two more defenseman, and he might do it before the current CBA expires on Sept. 15.
- Michael Cammalleri said the past few seasons have been tough for him but he is looking forward to having a better year, if there is a season to play, according to the Calgary Sun.
- With school back in session, some of the Blues players have returned to St. Louis and are working out at the team's practice facility, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
- Goalie Fred Brathwaite hasn't played in the NHL since 2004, but he is holding off on returning to Europe in the hopes that he can get a tryout with an NHL team, according to the Ottawa Sun.