Tuesday, February 5, 2013
Morning jam: Luongo keeps on rolling
By ESPN Stats & Information
Canucks 3, Oilers 2
* Canucks: Won 3 straight overall, 5-0-1 in last 6 games with Oilers
* Chris Tanev: 1st career goal wins it in OT (63rd career NHL game)
* Roberto Luongo (Canucks): 23 saves, 3-0-2 this season
Ducks 2, Sharks 1
* Sharks: Lose in regulation for 1st time this season
* Ducks: 7-1-1 in last 9 games vs Sharks (4-1-0 at home)
* Ducks Won 4 straight games overall at home
* Teams Combined to go 0-12 on power play (0-6 each)
Hurricanes 4, Maple Leafs 1
* Patrick Dwyer (3) and Jordan Staal (1) (CAR): Goal and assist each
* Cam Ward (CAR): 41 saves
* Hurricanes: 4-0-1 in past 5 meetings versus Maple Leafs
* Matt Frattin (TOR): Goal (5) (had 8 goals in 56 games last season)
* Maple Leafs: 1-4-0 at home this season
FROM ELIAS: Jordan Staal scored his first goal for the Hurricanes at the 1:21 mark of the second period in Carolina’s game at Toronto and his brother, Eric, scored exactly nine minutes later to give the Canes a 2–1 lead. It was the third time that Jordan and Eric Staal scored goals in the same NHL game and the first time they did so as teammates.
FROM ELIAS: The only other pair of brothers to score goals in the same game for the Hartford/Carolina franchise was David and Wayne Babych, who did so twice for the Whalers in the 1985–86 season. Before the Staals, the most recent first-timers on the list of NHL brothers scoring goals as teammates in the same game were the Canadiens’ Andrei and Sergei Kostitsyn on Jan. 31, 2008.
Coyotes 2, Wild 1
* Coyotes: 3-0-2 past 5 games
* Wild: 3-2 in last 5 games at PHX
* Zach Parise (MIN): 1 goal; Team-leading 6 goals this season
FROM ELIAS: Minnesota’s Zach Parise scored the 200th goal of his NHL career Monday. Zach’s dad, J.P., scored 238 goals in his 14-season NHL career. The Parises are the second father/son duo to each score at least 200 goals in the NHL. The other father/son pair to do that, Bobby and Brett Hull, each scored more than 600 NHL goals (Bobby 610, Brett 741).
Stars 3, Avalanche 2
* Stars: Won 3 of past 4 games in Colorado
* Avalanche: 1st home loss of season (were 3-0-0)
* Jamie Benn (Stars): 3 points (first 2 goals of season)
* Kari Lehtonen (Stars): 29 saves; 2nd straight win
FROM ELIAS: Milan Hejduk reached the 1,000-game mark of his NHL career when he stepped on the ice for the first time in Colorado’s game against Dallas on Monday and he scored the Avs’ first goal in their 3–2 loss. Hejduk is the fifth player in the past two seasons to score goals in his 1000th career game. The other players to do that since the start of the 2011–12 season are Joe Thornton, Patrik Elias, Matt Cullen and Chris Phillips (who scored twice in his NHL milestone game).