Monday, March 25, 2013
Morning jam: Penguins flying high again
By ESPN Stats & Information
Penguins 2, Flyers 1 (OT)
* Penguins: won 12 straight games; longest winning streak by any team this season (ELIAS: This is 3rd season in NHL history in which 2 teams had 11+ game winning streak (1981-82 and 2009-10); Blackhawks also won 11 straight
* Sidney Crosby (Penguins): 14th goal of season (3rd power-play goal of season)
* Flyers: lost 6 of last 8 games, including 4 straight road games
FROM ELIAS: Tyler Kennedy's third regular-season overtime goal of his NHL career made the Penguins 2-1 victors against the Flyers on Sunday night and extended Pittsburgh's winning streak to 12 games. Kennedy has scored only five goals this season: three in four games versus Philadelphia and two in 28 games against the rest of the Eastern Conference. Kennedy's 11 career goals versus the Flyers are the most he's scored against any team.
Capitals 3, Rangers 2 (SO)
* Capitals: 1st win in 3 meetings with Rangers this season
* Niklas Backstrom: goal and assist-- and game-winning goal in shootout; 2nd goal in last 3 games (had 3 goals in 1st 29 games)
* Alex Ovechkin (Capitals): goal and assist; 5 straight games with a goal
* Braden Holtby: (Capitals): 30 saves, won last 3 starts
FROM ELIAS: Alex Ovechkin extended his goal-scoring streak to five games with a first-period tally in the Capitals' shootout win over the Rangers. It's the eighth time that Ovechkin has scored goals in five or more consecutive team games in one season in his eight-year NHL career. That's three more goal-scoring streaks of at least five games than any other NHL player has recorded over the last eight seasons. Dany Heatley, Ilya Kovalchuk, Rick Nash and Steven Stamkos are tied for second with five such streaks since 2005-06.
Red Wings 2, Ducks 1
* Ducks: consecutive regulation losses for 1st time this season
* Jimmy Howard (Red Wings) 33 saves: won 4 of last 5 starts
* Daniel Cleary (Red Wings): Goal; entered day with 1 goal in previous 12 games
* Teemu Selanne: played in his 1,372nd regular-season game, tying D Teppo Numminen for the most by a Finnish-born player.
Flames 3, Blues 2
* Flames: won 7 straight at home
* Roman Cervenka (CGY): 2 goals (4,5); 1st career multi-goal game
* Blues: lost 5 straight on road (4-13 on road this season)
FROM ELIAS: Jarome Iginla's tiebreaking goal with 7:02 remaining in the third period was the game-winner for the Flames in their 3-2 victory against the Blues. Trade rumors have been flying over the last few days regarding Iginla, who has spent his entire 16-season NHL career with Calgary. Iginla's goal on Sunday was his 83rd game-winning goal for the Flames. That ties him with Canadiens great Jean Beliveau for ninth place on the list of most game-winning goals by a player for one NHL team.
Canucks 3, Avalanche 2
* Canucks: 4-game win streak
* Mason Raymond: Goal (9); Goal in 2 straight games
* Avalanche: lost 6 of last 7 games overall
Islanders 3, Panthers 0
* Islanders: 5-2-1 in last 8 games (started 9-13-2)
* Panthers: only team in NHL with fewer than 10 wins (9-18-6)
* Evgeni Nabokov (NYI): 26 saves; 3rd shutout this season