Sunday, May 5, 2013
Morning jam: It was a good day to be a goalie
By ESPN Stats & Information
The Capitals, Kings, and Ducks all won via shutout in the Stanley Cup Playoffs on Saturday. The last time there were 3 playoff shutouts on one day came on April 22, 2010 when the Blackhawks, Sharks and Flyers each did it. It was the 1st time the Rangers lost a playoff game that was 0-0 at the end of regulation. The Blues were shutout in a playoff game for the 1st time in 2009. And FROM ELIAS: it was the only the third time in Red Wings playoff history (1ST since 1978) that they suffered a home shutout loss by a margin of four goals or more.
Capitals 1, Rangers 0 (OT) (Capitals lead series 2-0)
* Mike Green (WSH): game-winning PPG at 8:00 at overtime (1st career playoff OT goal)
* Braden Holtby (WSH): 24 saves (1st career playoff shutout)
* Capitals: 1st-ever win in a playoff game tied 0-0 going into OT (lost lone previous such game to Bruins last year)
* Rangers: 1st-ever loss in a playoff game tied 0-0 going into OT (won previous 2 in 1929 & 1933)
* Rangers: 0-14 on power play in last 4 playoff games vs Capitals
* Rangers: have lost last 4 playoff series in which they trailed 2 games to 0
* Rangers: 1st back-to-back losses since March 28-30
FROM ELIAS: Mike Green’s power play goal at 8:00 of the first overtime period gave the Capitals a 1–0 win over the Rangers and a two-games-to-none lead in their series. It was the sixth time in NHL playoff history that a defenseman scored the goal in a 1–0 overtime victory. The most recent of those goals was scored by Andrei Zyuzin of San Jose in 1998. But special mention goes to Uwe Krupp, who scored in triple-overtime to complete the Avalanche’s four-game sweep in the 1996 Stanley Cup Final.
Maple Leafs 4, Bruins 2 (Series tied 1-1)
* Joffrey Lupul (TOR): 4th multi-goal playoff game, 1st since 2008
* Maple Leafs: 1st win at Bruins since March 2011 (snapped 6-game losing streak including playoffs)
* James Reimer (TOR): 39 saves, 1st career playoff win
* Bruins: 2nd loss in last 15 home playoff games vs Maple Leafs
FROM ELIAS: Joffrey Lupul has scored 16 goals in 41 playoff games in his NHL career but 10 of those goals have come in only four games: a four-goal and a two-goal game for the Ducks in 2006, a two-goal game for the Flyers in 2008, and two goals for the Maple Leafs in their 4–2 win at Boston on Saturday night.
Ducks 4, Red Wings 0 (Ducks lead series 2-1)
* Ducks: 1st playoff shutout since April 23, 2009 (vs Sharks)
* Ryan Getzlaf (ANA): 1 goal and 1 assists; 18th career playoff with game at least 2 points
* Jonas Hiller (ANA): 23 saves, 3rd career postseason shutout
* Red Wings: worst shutout loss in playoffs since May 24, 1997 at Avalanche (6-0)
FROM ELIAS: Jonas Hiller recorded the third shutout of his NHL playoff career in the Ducks’ 4–0 win at Detroit. It’s only the third time in Red Wings playoff history that they suffered a home shutout loss by a margin of four goals or more. The other visiting goaltenders with shutouts by that large a margin at Detroit are a pair of Hall of Famers: Turk Broda of the Maple Leafs in 1950 (5–0) and Ken Dryden of the Canadiens in 1978 (8–0).
Kings 1, Blues 0 (Blues lead series, 2-1)
* Slava Voynov (LA): 2nd career postseason goal
* Jonathan Quick (LA): 5th career postseason shutout
* Blues: shut out in a playoff game for 1st time since 2009 at Canucks
* Blues: 3-14 in last 17 road playoff games dating back to 2002 postseason