Saturday, May 11, 2013
Morning jam: Z finally hits the mark in OT
By ESPN Stats & Information
All 4 hockey games were decided by 1 goal Friday night, with 2 of them going to overtime. The Red Wings forced a Game 7 by defeating the Ducks, 4-3, on Henrik Zetterberg’s OT winner. FROM ELIAS: Zetterberg scored his first postseason OT goal in his 115th career postseason game. He’s the first player to appear in that many postseason games before scoring an OT goal since the Ducks Scott Niedermayer got his first in his 173rd postseason game on May 3, 2007, against the Canucks. After dropping the first 2 games of their series, the defending Stanley Cup-champion Kings reeled off 4 straight wins to knock off the Blues. All 6 games in that series were decided by 1 goal.
Capitals 2, Rangers 1 (OT) (Capitals lead series 3-2)
* Mike Ribeiro (WSH): 6th career postseason goal (1st in OT) in 47th career postseason game
* Alex Ovechkin (WSH): 9 shots after being held to 1 in Game 4
* Capitals: outshot Rangers 21-10 in 3rd period and OT
* Home team has won every game in series
* Rick Nash and Brad Richards (NYR): combined total of 3 shots (2 by Nash)
Maple Leafs 2, Bruins 1 (Bruins lead series 3-2)
* Maple Leafs: both wins in series on road
* James Reimer (TOR): 43 saves; T-5th most in playoff game by TOR goalie since 1982-83
* Tyler Bozak (TOR): 1st career playoff goal; 1st TOR player with SH goal in postseason since 2003 (Travis Green)
* Bruins: lost 5 of last 6 at home in playoffs (1-2 in this series)
* David Krejci (BOS): Assist; 11 points (5 G, 6 A) in series
FROM ELIAS: Reimer’s total of 43 saves was the highest in a non-overtime playoff game by a Maple Leafs goaltender since 1983, when Mike Palmateer turned away 47 shots in a 6-3 win in Game Three of a best-of-five first-round set against the Minnesota North Stars. That was also a game in which the Leafs faced elimination, though their stay of execution lasted only a day, as Minnesota won Game Four of that series.
Kings 2, Blues 1 (Kings win series 4-2)
* Kings: won 4 straight after dropping first 2 games of series
* Each game in series decided by 1 goal
* Dustin Penner (LA): scored GWG just as time expired in 2nd period
* Kings: play SJ in next round (if Red Wings def. Ducks in Game 7)
* Kings: play ANA in next round (if Ducks def. Red Wings in Game 7)
* Blues: 2-17 on power play in series
FROM ELIAS: All six games in the series were decided by exactly one goal, marking only the second such series of six-or-more games in NHL playoff history. The other was the Capitals’ seven-game win over the Bruins in the first round of last year’s playoffs.
Red Wings 4, Ducks 3 (OT) (Series tied 3-3)
* Henrik Zetterberg (DET): 2G, A … 1st career postseason OT goal in 115th career postseason game
* Pavel Datsyuk (DET): G, 2A (5 points in last 3 games)
* Bobby Ryan (ANA): game-tying goal with 2:37 left in 3rd period
* Neither team has won 2 straight in series
* 3rd straight game to go to OT (4th game in series)
* All-time in Game 7 - Detroit: 13-9, Anaheim: 2-2
FROM ELIAS: It was the 53rd playoff goal of Zetterberg’s NHL career, but the first of them to be scored in overtime. Before he scored the winning goal on Friday, Zetterberg had owned the highest career playoff goal total among active players who had never scored an overtime goal in a Stanley Cup game. That distinction now passes to Patrik Elias, with 45 playoff goals but none in overtime.