Sunday, May 12, 2013
It's an overtime-playoff world, people
By ESPN Stats & Information
Defenseman Brooks Orpik scored his 1st career playoff goal 7:49 into overtime, lifting the Penguins to a series-clinching 4-3 triumph over the Islanders in Game 6 of the Eastern Conference quarterfinals. This was the 16th game this postseason that went into overtime, matching the opening-round record set last season. Last season’s Hart Trophy winner (NHL MVP) Evgeni Malkin had 2 assists, tying Boston’s David Krejci for the lead in points this postseason (11).
Penguins 4, Islanders 3 (OT) - Penguins win series 4-2
* Brooks Orpik (PIT): 1st career OT goal (78th postseason game) ... just 11 goals in 631 career regular-season games (0 this season)
* Penguins: play Senators in Eastern Conference Semifinals (PIT took all 3 regular-season meetings)
* Penguins: 1st playoff series win since 2010 (ousted in conference quarterfinals each of last 2 seasons)
* Islanders: lost 6 straight OT playoff games (last win: 1993 vs PIT)
* Islanders outshot Penguins 38-21
* Sidney Crosby (PIT): assist ... 9 pts (3G, 6A) in 5 games since return (missed Game 1)
* Evgeni Malkin, Jarome Iginla, Pascal Dupuis (PIT): each had at least 1 point in all 6 games of series
* Pascal Dupuis (PIT): goal ... 5th goal of series (5G vs Islanders in regular season)
FROM ELIAS: Defenseman Brooks Orpik scored the first playoff goal of his NHL career at the 7:49 mark of overtime to lift the Penguins to a series-clinching 4-3 triumph over the Islanders. Entering play on Saturday night, Orpik had played 77 Stanley Cup playoff games, the third most in NHL history among forwards or defensemen with no playoff goals, behind two other D-men, Craig Muni (113 games) and Hal Gill (110).
FROM ELIAS: Evgeni Malkin, Jarome Iginla and Pascal Dupuis each had points in all six games of the Pittsburgh's first-round series against the Islanders. They were the first Penguins players to tally points in each of the first six games of a playoff series - in any round - since 1996, when Jaromir Jagr had a goal or an assist in all six games of Pittsburgh's first-round series victory over Washington.
Evgeni Malkin - Most Points in a Playoff Series
2013 Conf. Quarterfinals Islanders 11 (2G, 9A)
2009 Conf. Semifinals Capitals 10 (2G, 8A)
2009 Conf. Finals Hurricanes 9 (6G, 3A)
2009 Conf. Quarterfinals Flyers 9 (4G, 5A)
Ottawa Senators vs Pittsburgh Penguins - All-Time Playoff Meetings
2013 Conference Semifinals ?
2010 Conference Quarterfinals Penguins in 6
2008 Conference Quarterfinals Penguins in 4
2007 Conference Quarterfinals Senators in 5